Belgian Dubbel Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
I want to make a Belgian Dubbel, and I'd like to do one similar to Anderson Valley's Brother David's Dubbel. It's a darker than usual Dubbel with about 9% ABV, and dark fruit overtones. Here's a recipe I've been working on but I'd like some opinions please. Thanks in advance!

Grain:
8.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 47.06 %
6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 35.29 %
2.00 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 11.76 %
1.00 lb Candi Sugar, Amber (75.0 SRM) Sugar 5.88 %

Hops
1.00 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 21.1 IBU
0.50 oz Select Spalt [4.75 %] (30 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
1.00 oz Select Spalt [4.75 %] (5 min) Hops 2.5 IBU

1 Pkgs Belgian Strong Ale (Wyeast Labs #1388) Yeast-Ale
Fermented for 21 days @ 72F, then 7 days @ 65F

Beer Profile
(estimating 70% efficiency)
Est Original Gravity: 1.080 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.01 %
Bitterness: 28.5 IBU
Est Color: 18.8 SRM

Hey there,

You might want to try some Belgium Candi D2, instead of the amber, for the color and intensity that a good double will have. Try 1.5 pounds, one full bottle, you will not be disappointed! If you can the sugars up to 20% of your fermentables by extract, not by weight. Also use 50/50 dark candi D2 and white sugar.

Good luck.

It won't be dark enough. There is no Special B so it won't have a lot of the characteristics of most dubbels. Special B adds the raisiny and toffee notes you often find with Dubbels. I think you'll miss the "dark fruit" notes without Special B.

Also, hold back some of the initial sugar and add periodically during the early stages of fermentation. Also be certain to oxygenate vary well prior to pitching and hit it with a bit of oxygen after initial fermentation starts.

Your ferment temps look fine, but plan to leave it on the yeast for an extra couple weeks.

It won't be dark enough. There is no Special B so it won't have a lot of the characteristics of most dubbels. Special B adds the raisiny and toffee notes you often find with Dubbels. I think you'll miss the "dark fruit" notes without Special B.

Also, hold back some of the initial sugar and add periodically during the early stages of fermentation. Also be certain to oxygenate vary well prior to pitching and hit it with a bit of oxygen after initial fermentation starts.

Your ferment temps look fine, but plan to leave it on the yeast for an extra couple weeks.

I wanted to add special B, but the color when using that was out of style guidelines. If I add only 1 lb. of Special B I'll need to take out the Caramunich...will that be enough to make a difference in the taste?

I wanted to add special B, but the color when using that was out of style guidelines. If I add only 1 lb. of Special B I'll need to take out the Caramunich...will that be enough to make a difference in the taste?

Yeah, I think 1 lbs would be fine ... you shouldn't need much more than that. I wouldn't worry too much about style guidelines either.

Ok, revised recipe...how does this look?

1.00 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
2.00 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 11.76 %

1.00 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 20.6 IBU
0.50 oz Select Spalt [4.75 %] (30 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
1.00 oz Select Spalt [4.75 %] (2 min) Hops 1.0 IBU

Ok, revised recipe...how does this look?

1.00 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
2.00 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 11.76 %

1.00 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 20.6 IBU
0.50 oz Select Spalt [4.75 %] (30 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
1.00 oz Select Spalt [4.75 %] (2 min) Hops 1.0 IBU

You could still keep the 1/2 lbs caramunich if you want too. I don't really think it'll move the beer too far out of style.

You could still keep the 1/2 lbs caramunich if you want too. I don't really think it'll move the beer too far out of style.

I'm not married to the caramunich, but I'd seen other belgians with that grain in there. If it won't effect the taste negatively, I'd rather just leave it out.

1 lb of Special B will be plenty. Even a few oz'es is enough to start noticing the raisiny tastes. A full lb should be bursting with the dark fruit character you're after. As far as the caramunich, I think it's pretty much personal preference. I'd probably put a little in - between 4oz - 8oz.

Lots of good advice re: the sugars and incremental fermentation above, glad those guys pitched in!

Add some Belgium candi D2 and you do not need to add any Spec B. Most of the American versions of dubbles are to heavy with specialty malt because no one uses the right kind of sugar. I have 10 gallons of a Westy type brew in my fermenters and it looks great. Also the complexity of the D2/table sugar will add what you are looking for.

Take a look at these sites and read Brew Like a Monk if you have time.

http://www.brewlikeamonk.com/

Take a look at the homebrew board.
http://www.babblebelt.com/

:rockin:

All the guys on the Babble Belt are raving about the D2 in Doubles. I feel we are really lucky to have access to the sugars Dark Candi is importing. And for me the added expense for the right ingredients are worth it by the time you sit down and drink it. I do not want to say, "This beer is okay, but I should have spent the extra 10 cents per glass to have a more authentic product." That is just me though.

So is the D2 added into the primary over a few days early in the fermentation, or into the boil? And how much should be used in a 5.5 gallon batch if I decide to lower or ditch the Special B?

The advice I got from someone in the know said to do a 50/50 split with D2 and white sugar for 20% to 30% of the fermentables by extract, not by weight, that is very important. If you want a very dry beer go with 30%. I lean towards the 30%.

Add it in the last 5 min or so of boil. When you do the boil will die out. So if you can stir the wort well enough I would add it at flame out and mix to insure the sugars are dissolved. Or you could add it very slowly starting at 20 min before flame out to minimize the effect of the sugar on the boil. Anytime you add extracts or sugars to the boil the temp will drop and take some time to regain the 212 deg of boiling.

Whatever you do have fun with it and take good notes to share with everyone and help you with the next batch you brew.

Add some Belgium candi D2 and you do not need to add any Spec B. Most of the American versions of dubbles are to heavy with specialty malt because no one uses the right kind of sugar.

But if he's looking for a dubbel with nice dark fruit/raisiny notes then he'll need to get that from the Special B. The Special B/Caramunich mix will also give him a bit of toffee notes on the front end as well.

From what I heard and have read the D2 has all the flavor you will want in a 2x.

I have some in the ferms I am bottling in the next day or so. I let you know how it tastes.

Apparently Special B is an American Belgian phenomenon. Most traditional Belgian beers are brewed with simple grain bills. Not to say that special B is wrong, of course, and that may be the easiest way to impart the flavor but the Belgians tend to get that flavor without it.

Good link! I never even knew they had a site. So many kinds! I'd only seen Clear and Dark before!

The D2 - From Dark Candi
Our latest addition. This syrup’s flavor is a mix of burnt sugar, figs, ripe fruit, toffee and dark chocolate. Highly fermentable.

http://www.darkcandi.com/d2.html

Thanks for the link, I've forwarded this to my LHBS owner. They currently only carry the hard belgian candy, but hopefully they'll be able to get this on order.

Back