Proper DME quantity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake_Allen

Reaction score
I'm wanting to try using DME for the first time in a 5 gallon wheat batch but don't know how much to use. What's a good/exact amount to use?

5 lbs in 5 gallons is a good place to start. That will make about a 4% ABV beer... and of course you'll need hops, yeast.

My book has a chapter on extract brewing that isn't on my blog.

Can you give more information?

What is the recipe of the "wheat batch" that you want to add DME to (or do you want to make a wheat beer using DME)?
What type of DME would you like to add?
What are you trying to achieve by adding the DME?

Can you give more information?

What is the recipe of the "wheat batch" that you want to add DME to (or do you want to make a wheat beer using DME)?
What type of DME would you like to add?
What are you trying to achieve by adding the DME?

I just want to make a wheat beer using DME. I've heard several people say they think DME is better for wheats (their opinion) so I figured I'd give it a try. I don't know much about DME other than its a dry powder and fermentable, hence me asking how much to use in 5 gallons of brew.

I just want to make a wheat beer using DME. I've heard several people say they think DME is better for wheats (their opinion) so I figured I'd give it a try. I don't know much about DME other than its a dry powder and fermentable, hence me asking how much to use in 5 gallons of brew.

The thing to keep in mind is that most Wheat DME is not 100% wheat. It may be 50-60% wheat with the rest barley (depending on maltster). That's ok it'll make a good beer.

You would need 6 lbs in a 5.5 gallon batch (1.046 O.G.) with about an 1oz of Hallertau Mittelfrau [3.75AA] and a vial of WLP320 and a 60 min full boil.

How much you need is really a function of several variables and personal preference.

If you're comfortable using a brew recipe calculator, you can adjust for your process, recipe, etc...

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator/

What about this recipe? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/gumballhead-inspired-wpa-92976/

I haven't tried it, but it looks pretty good.

If you goto the recipe section of this site, and click on the word "prefix" and then click the arrow, it'll sort by All-Grain, Partial, Multiple and Extract, making it easy to find extract recipes of whatever style you are looking for.

Back