HELP Table sugar in the brew, what will that do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsfire

Reaction score
MrBeer Patriot Lager Deluxe with 1 BrewMax LME Softpack - Pale was the brew tonight and some how a 1/4 cup of table sugar ended up in it what will this do?

It will simply up the ABV a bit and dry it out a little (guess what is in those Mr. Beer "Booster" packs?). Relax and enjoy!

It will increase the ABV a little bit and increase dryness slightly. Considering it was only a 1/4 cup, I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't know much about mr beer but I use table sugar in my own recipes in order to increase alcohol without increasing body. Imperial IPA and similar big beers that you don't want to end up syrupy. I think you will be fine.

You MIGHT get a slight cidery flavor, but with a 1/4 cup that's not likely. You will most likely increase your ABV a little and, finish a little dryer. Still drinkable beer if you maintain your fermentation temps.

Just used a couple of pounds of sugar in a Tripel the other day... I think your 1/4 cup will work out just fine...

It will help lower your final gravity (drying it out) by adding simple sugars and increasing the yeasts ability to consume the more complex sugars. I have heard that it is actually better to put the sugar in when fermentation slows to kick it up and that the yeast don't get lazy with the easy sugars before the complex sugars. You shouldn't have to worry about cidery our thin beer with only a 1/4 cup.

You MIGHT get a slight cidery flavor, but with a 1/4 cup that's not likely. You will most likely increase your ABV a little and, finish a little dryer. Still drinkable beer if you maintain your fermentation temps.

trappist monks use it, and their beers are usually declared the best in the world. i use it in mine; not that good, but i choke them down ;) lose that thought about "cidery flavor".

That was my thoughts...

How does a 1/4 of sugar just happen to fall into your beer? ;)

I seriously doubt you'll even notice anything.

Exactly!

A 1/4 cup isn't enough to do anything to 5 gallons of beer. It would hardly change gravity or do anything to body. You won't even know the gremlins even did it.

Unless you used <4# fermentables, you should be fine. The cidery, dry flavoring associated with overuse of cane sugar should not be evident unless you have used more than 20% of your fermentables bill, or so I have read. Worst case Scenario? Invite your buddies over and use it as a closer beer for a fun night. Cheers.

Back