Partial Mash and then steeping grains question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uziyahu

Reaction score
Happy Saturday!

I am planning on making the Imperial Stout recipe from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles. I'm cheap, and want to make this recipe as cheap as possible. DME is really expensive compared to buying the grain. I don't have the equipment to do a full on BIAB mash for such a big beer, but I'm able to do a good sized partial mash.

My question is this: Will it work if I do the partial mash with the two row/ Wheat malt and then steep the specialty grains (Roasted Barley, Chocolate Malt, and Crystal) like I would in an extract brew? If it works, then I can save some mash space for two-row and save some money on DME.

Thanks.

I was recently reading Brewing: Science and Practice, which is an insanely expensive and extensive encyclopedia of advanced brewing techniques. In it, they mentioned that mashing converted grains with uncoverted grains causes a decrease in efficiency. They showed a bunch of experiments which supported their findings, but didn't go into much detail as to explain "why" this was the case. I always believed it did not matter in the past. But I currently divide my mashing grains from my steeping grains, and mash/steep them separately. Not a big deal for me since I use dual kettles anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0849325471/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet. I love it when beer science supports my desire to brew cheaper.

I was thinking about this yesterday as well. Just so I can understand (and maybe attempt this), are you planning on doing a BIAB with the mash and then having separate water to steep? I wonder if you could steep, remove the grains, bring the temp of that water up, and then use that as the BIAB tea-bag sparge? I was thinking about trying that out, but am not sure if it makes sense or is a good idea...

Here is what I did just yesterday to make an Imperial Stout.

My grain bill was as follows:
4.5lb Pale Ale Malt
2 lb Wheat Malt
1 lb Acid Malt
.5 lb Crystal 120
2.5 lb Roasted Barley
2 lb Chocolate Malt
6 lbs DME

I mashed BIAB the Pale Ale, Acid Malt, and Wheat Malt at 149 F. Did a mashout. Then did some pour sparging.

While the first grain bag was dripping into a separate pot, I poured the specialty grains in another bag and steeped it in the main boil kettle. Once the mash bag was done dripping, I pulled the specialty grains and let them drip into the second pot. It seemed to work pretty well, and I got very close to my target numbers. Since this was my very first BIAB experience, I am pretty happy with that.

Back