How to achieve lower FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomToro

Reaction score
Q:If my OG is around 1.050 and I'd like my FG to be as low as possible (lower carbs), is there a specific yeast or specific process I'd use to achieve this?

Lately my brews have stalled around 1.020. I understand I need to aerate like crazy before and especially after the pitch and ferment and yield at room temps (68-72f) for my ales.

I'm making an Elkhorn Pale Ale and using the safale 05, but have access to the Wyeast American Ale slap pack Yeast.

I use this calculator to see the carb/calories of each beer I make and I'm averaging about 25carbs and 290 calories per 12oz:
http://www.mrgoodbeer.com/carb-cal.shtml

are you brewing extract beers? if so, look into the 'extract stall' or '1.02 stall' with extract and 'late extract additions'. many extract brews like to peeter out at 1.02. there's some simple ways to help with this and achieve lower FGs.

are you brewing extract beers? if so, look into the 'extract stall' or '1.02 stall' with extract and 'late extract additions'. many extract brews like to peeter out at 1.02. there's some simple ways to help with this and achieve lower FGs.

I did find a thread on decreasing FG, but didn't find any real processes except maybe stirring a little and increasing the temps at the end of the ferment stage. I might try those with my Wheat Beer that seems stuck at 1020 for a week now.

Not sure if I should sprinkle a little more yeast after I stir it up or if there's enough live yeast left in there.

Thanks for the help,
Tom

Not all extracts ferment equally. You may find that you can get a lower FG by switching the brand of extract. Muntons is supposed to ferment well.

-a.

You might also try adding 1g/gal of Fermaid K after a 1/3 drop from OG. It's a yeast nutrient that is routinely used in wine fermentation with dry yeast.

I did find a thread on decreasing FG, but didn't find any real processes except maybe stirring a little and increasing the temps at the end of the ferment stage. I might try those with my Wheat Beer that seems stuck at 1020 for a week now.

Not sure if I should sprinkle a little more yeast after I stir it up or if there's enough live yeast left in there.

Thanks for the help,
Tom

warming and rousing can definitely help a stuck ferment, but if an extract beer finishes ~1.02, it's probably not stuck. adding yeast to a stuck ferment works too, but again..... the late extract addition is a great method to help the attenuation levels of the extract you use. also sticking with DME, and not LME helps. using light extracts and getting color and flavor from steeping grains instead of using dark or amber extract really helps.

Back