Thoughts on an Christmas porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krebs119

Reaction score
I'm not as good at formulating my own recipes yet, so I figured I'd reach out here for some thoughts and suggestions.

I'm trying to get rid of a number of my leftover ingredients that I've had for what might be too long at this point, but meh... Here's what I'm looking at, please feel free to critique/tell me I'm awesome/tell me I suck :mug:

5 gal partial mash:

4lb Golden Promise
9oz Munich
10oz Crystal 60
7oz Chocolate Malt
6oz Black Patent Malt
3oz Roasted Barley
8oz Dehusked Carafa 3
12oz Carapils
12oz Maltodextrine

Mash at ~152 for 60 min

2lb Light DME
1.5lb Amber DME

.6oz Nugget Leaf @60min
.5oz Nugget Leaf @15min

Whirfloc @15 mins
AHS Holiday Spice Pack at flameout

Either S-04 (fresh packet) or White Labs London Ale Yeast (pitch on a current bed).

I used AHS's Holiday Spice pack last year in a kit and I really liked it, so I'm quite happy with the taste of this. I'm a bit concerned that I might have gone too "roasty" with a few of the grains. I'm happy with a thicker, high abv beer for the holidays, so I don't mind the Maltodextrine.

I threw this in BrewTarget and got 6.9abv with 33ibus. Seemed to be a good balance for me. I guess I'm just a bit concerned with some of the ingredients, if they'll clash or if I overdid any of them...

Looking forward to the advice!

Latest posts

Back