First timer looking for recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mthree81

Reaction score
i am just about ready to brew my first batch. my favorite beer is New Castle.are there any similar extract kits out there? thanks

Absolutely. A lot of first-timers cut their teeth on a brown ale kit. You should be able to acquire a brown ale kit from you local homebrew store (LHBS). From there it's as simple as boiling it for an hour, or however long the directions indicate.

Great, thanks for the quick reply. any particular brand you like more then others?

Not really...my first beer was a brown ale kit but I can't recall the brand. Came out well, though. I think whatever your LHBS carries will do the job.

I will mention, however, that the instructions may mention adding sugar at some point during the boil. I wouldn't do this...get an extra pouch of liquid malt extract when you buy your kit and add this in place of the sugar. This will result in better flavor and body for minimal extra cost. Your LHBS will probably suggest this, anyways.

thanks for all the advice Bee. im still trying to locate a homebrew supply close to home.

Im in the northwest suburbs of chicago. i have been trying to locate a local supply shop but the only one i have found is some 25 miles away. im sure there has to be one closer, its chicago. what online venders do you guys like dealing with?

I mostly deal with Austin Homebrew Supply as I've gotten really good, prompt service, large selection, good advice on the phone, and they offer free shipping on orders > $60. However, that's probably more than you need to spend in this case.

I've often browsed Midwest Supplies website and they appear to have quite a nice selection, although I've never dealt with them. I suppose geographically they're not that far away from you and might have a favorable shipping rate. What about this kit:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=3559
It already includes the extract in place of the sugar as I mentioned earlier.

also try www.northernbrewer.com. i think my first extract kit was a Coopers Old ale? also, get pellet hops to add to the boil. those pre-hopped extract kits don't have enough to make a noticable difference. it will help w/ bitterness and aroma.

try *********** and do a search for homebrew shops. they list 'em all over the country.

good luck and keep us posted!

I found these looking online. Don't know how close or anything else about them though.

Casey's Liquors/Chicago Homebrew Supplies
1444 West Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL
Phone: (800) 213-BEER
Source of information: The Beer Travelers Page

Sam's Wine & Liquors
Chicago, IL
Phone: (800) 777-9137

Sam's Wine and Liquors
1000 West North Avenue
Chicago, IL

Bev-Art
10035 S. Western Ave.
Chicago
773-233-7579

right on denny. the only one i kept coming up w/ was Bev-Art way on the south side. but Casey's is right by my buddies place. i will definately check it out this weekend. im really looking for a glass carboy, hope they have them. thanks again.

Mthree81 said:
Im in the northwest suburbs of chicago. i have been trying to locate a local supply shop but the only one i have found is some 25 miles away. im sure there has to be one closer, its chicago. what online venders do you guys like dealing with?

You're in my neck of the woods.
Try any of these.

You want to open a shop with me, BeeGee? We could have it open in the evenings to get all the business that American Brewmaster misses with their restricted hours. :)

-walker

Sounds good to me...could be a good gig! It seems like the last time I was in AB I remember seeing something about them staying open later one night and thinking I could actually get there after work without a special weekend trip, but for the life of me I can't remember the details.

Don't whine! Here I am in Brewtopia and I have to drive 30 miles to get to a supplier and not a very good one. It's a commercial winery supplier and has a beer corner. mainly "add sugar" kits. I got spoiled by the Oak Barrel in Berekley, CA. They had about 50 specialty grains and no less than 6 LME's in 55 gallon drums! No one in this area has a good a selection. And they always had some of Homer's own homebrew in the keggerator. The OLCC doesn't allow that.

david_42 said:
Don't whine! Here I am in Brewtopia and I have to drive 30 miles to get to a supplier and not a very good one.

Gotta whine a little bit! Can you get supplies from microbrewers in the area?

Walker, I was right...from AB's website:
New Store hours: Thursday 10am - 7:00pm

That's more like it. I won't whine too much if I can get by on a weekday after work, even if it requires a little bit of planning.

Back