BIAB without the Nylon Bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get a yard of the stuff that sheer drapes are made of and sew it up by hand. Costs 3 bucks, takes 20 minutes and you're good to go. I've been using my bag for about 6 batches now.

you might be able to find a woven natural hemp material. it would hold up to the temps as well as the acidity of the mash. The only problem would be finding some that was not so tightly woven that it made draining the mash impossible. That's where synthetic materials really show their stuff. strong and the fibers don't swell with liquid. They also do not add any off flavors to the mash. You can find stainless mesh, but it's expensive and you still have to figure out a way to solder/sew it into a workable bag.

Oh, I didn't realize my drapes were synthetic... I guess they are polyester. I'm having no problems with it, if that helps.

Some loose-weave unbleached muslin might work if you can find it. Not sure how it will hold up over the course of a number of batches, but certainly worth looking into.

Cheesecloth normally comes in natural materials, but might not be strong enough.. I've never really worked with it.

cotton will last a couple of batches... of course it will fail at some point and just hope it isn't as you lift the bag from the kettle.. cheese cloth isn't strong enough and it's really too loosely woven as grain will pass through the weave.
@OP what is the reason, if you don't mind me asking, why you want a natural bag as opposed to synthetic. Synthetic adds no flavor to teh mash and is PH neutral.

Some people use Game Bags, I bought a pack but they aren't big enough for my kettle. Package doesn't say but it seems like cotton weave.

wow! thanks for the great ideas. I bet you could get improved life if you used the cotton bag draped in a basket.

mysticmead- the reason that im looking into other options is because, in general, I am trying to get away from plastics for health (BPA) and environmental reasons. tin hat, i know. if you want a quick read, the plastic wikipedia entry is a good start.

Just exploring my options...

Thanks again for the replies so far!

mysticmead- the reason that im looking into other options is because, in general, I am trying to get away from plastics for health (BPA) and environmental reasons. tin hat, i know. if you want a quick read, the plastic wikipedia entry is a good start.

Just exploring my options...

Thanks again for the replies so far!

BPA is used in producing Polycarbonates. Nylon and Polyester are not Polycarbonates and should therefore be BPA free.

Thanks for that info. I have zero experience in chemistry, so I appreciate it when I hear from someone more knowledgeable than myself on the subject. To tell you the truth, I've never really tried to figure out which plastics could be harmful for what reasons (BPA, Phthalates, etc.). The science is way over my head. I'd rather just stay away from them all (as much as possible.) I envision the bag breaking down over time into the beer. Is the typical material 100% nylon? Ya, I know I sound paranoid about the whole thing, and I may be, but I'd like to see the other options out there. Thanks for your input.

I know that the voile material and thread I used is 100% nylon. Others might be a polyester material but that still isn't polycarbonate (think clear HARD plastic) which is where the BPA concern lies

BPA is used in producing Polycarbonates. Nylon and Polyester are not Polycarbonates and should therefore be BPA free.

This is really good to know since I share OP's concern. So what about the type of hard plastic that's used in your typical beverage cooler?

This is really good to know since I share OP's concern. So what about the type of hard plastic that's used in your typical beverage cooler?

nope.. coolers are good too.. polycarbonates are mainly the clear plastics. better bottles, water bottles, those clear plastic unbreakable plastic drinking cups that just about every family had when you were young. if listed on the plastic along with the recycle symbol there will be a number (on most but not all) 1, 2, 4, 6 are BPA free.. 3 and 7 MIGHT contain BPA but not always

Mysticmead- i take it that you have no reservations about using a nylon bag or a plastic cooler for mash temps.? how about polyester?

Thanks again.

btw, better bottles are bpa free.

If you're somehow able to do a stainless steel mesh bag, remember that if you're a member of the "Squeeze the Bag" school, you'll probably not be able to do that without a lot of hassle.

Back