Hey Hey From GA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MntFresh

Reaction score
Hey everyone! This is my first time at the forums. I am not a home brewer yet. I do intend to, and that is why im here. I am really into the DIY equipment, not only for money purposes but moding your equipment for uses that are accustom to you are always nice. I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on how to go about making my own brewing sys for the basics of first time brewing.

Thanks for your help everyone and i look forward to becoming an active member on this site!!

- MntFresh

Welcome. I to love the DYI, but we all have a long way to go to catch Yuri. I say pick up a kit to get your feet wet. There will be plenty of DYI opportunities later.

where abouts in GA are you from? I come out of Valdosta. I'm DIY'ing my ferm chamber just alittle bit at a time.

I'd be happy to offer suggestions:

What do you want to do? Build an All Grain system? or start with extract and work your way up to AG? or just do extract?

Also there is a good book out there called "Brew Ware" with all sorts of DIY projects and cheap ways to accomplish the tasks brewing requires.

Here are some places you can find free fermentors. Resturants, Donut shoppes,
45 lb chlorine buckets from friends with pools or community pools.

When looking for a plastic fermentor look for the recycle symbol with a number 2 inside it. That's a HDPE bucket the same thing home brew stores sell.

There are all sorts of great ideas posted on this forum I'd also suggest that you search it for ideas too.

I was thinking of getting my feet wet and starting out with extract and working up to AG. And primarly what i would like to do is just keep things cheap as well as create unique systems that would not only be pleasing to the eye but also efficient. I am currently in the process of helping out my room-mate with a Hydroponics system that would be efficient and pleasing to view seeing most are not that nice to look at. So We have the know how considering he is an Industrial Design major, its just the basics and getting the main ideas to work off of. I am defiantly going to check out that book, as well as keep the search on this forum as well as others.. Thank you much for your help I appreciate it!

- Mnt Fresh

OK
For the basics go to www.howtobrew.com by John Palmer it's a great web site.
He has an excellent book as well by the same title "How to Brew".

As far as nice to look at and cheap that's a tall order. Usually it's one or the other.

Here's something to consider.

Use a 5 gal. corny keg as a secondary fermenter. A used one cost the same as or a little bit more than a new glass carboy $15-25. They are stainless steel. Rugged and light weight I think they look great when the stainless steel is shined up. In addtiton to not being heavy and fragile like the glass carboys they also protect your beer from light. Something that would be necessary if your fermenters were out in the open for people to look at.

Good luck and welcome to the forum:mug:

Back