A question about non carbonated beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeferreefer

Reaction score
Hi, This is my second go at making homebrew. My first batch came out amazing. My second however came out flat :confused: . So anyways, here's my question: I'm wondering if I carefully move my flat bottled beer into a new keg system that I just bought, and will I be able to force carbonate the flat beer to bring some life back into it?? Thanks

Aaron

Yeah - should work no problem. Your biggest concern would be pouring the bottled beer into the keg without exposing it to a bunch of oxygen.

First purge the O2 from the keg with CO2 before you do the transfer. Then carefully open each one and pour into the keg. Once you're done, for good measure pressure up the keg and pull the safety valve a few times to drive out any remaining O2 from the keg.

B

Hi, This is my second go at making homebrew. My first batch came out amazing. My second however came out flat :confused: . So anyways, here's my question: I'm wondering if I carefully move my flat bottled beer into a new keg system that I just bought, and will I be able to force carbonate the flat beer to bring some life back into it?? Thanks

Aaron

Before you go to those lengths, how long has it been in bottles? It often takes 3 weeks at 70 deg. before you will see sufficient carbonation.

I'd be pretty hesitant to transfer all of those bottles to a keg unless you know for sure those bottles are permanently flat. Like HerotBrewer said, it takes at least 2 weeks for a normal gravity ale to carb at 70F. If its high gravity, it takes longer. If its cooler, it takes longer. There are all kinds of factors.

Stash these away and make another batch. They will carbonate if you used priming sugar before bottling.

Do give it at least 2 months in the bottle before giving up, but the only problem with kegging it, is that the yeast didn't digest the priming sugars yet and it may be a bit sweet.

Really dumb question, but I almost did it myself on my second batch....you didnt forget to add your prming sugar did you?

I'd be pretty hesitant to transfer all of those bottles to a keg unless you know for sure those bottles are permanently flat.

Stash these away and make another batch. They will carbonate if you used priming sugar before bottling.

Exactly....Except I wouldn't do them even if they were "permanently flat" Even THAT I believe can be corrected in the bottle.

But, I don't get it, it seems every time someone mentions a bottling issue lately people are suggesting dumping the beer into a keg or a bottling bucket lately...guys, guys, guys, it would be almost impossible to put the beer back into a bottling bucket and then re-bottle the beer without oxydizing the beer...Dumping fermented beer, and having it fall through the air is 5 gallons of liquid cardboard waiting to happen.

This is some of the patently stupidest advice I have ever seen on here.

Remember fermented beer + oxygen = bad....

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer. Lower temperatures take longer.

And just because a beer is carbed @ three weeks, doesn't mean that it doesn't still taste like crap and won't need more time to condition.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Lazy Llama came up with a handy dandy chart to determine how long something takes in brewing, whether it's fermentation, carbonation, bottle conditioning....

chart.jpg

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Let's make sure you actually have carbonation problems, shall we? Which I've yet to really see anyone really have issues that weren't cleared up with simple patience....unless you added lactose instead of priming sugar, even if you forgot to add priming sugar you would still get some carbonation......

I was thinking that air was bad so i thought there must be a way i scan siphon from bottles directly into the keg.. but on the other hand alot of people mentioned just wait it out, so starting yesterday i took them out of the basement into a 70 degreeish room and gave them all a little shake hopeing that this might reactivate the yeast. Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Latest posts

Back