saving a botched batch ......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Androshen

Reaction score
I totally hosed a batch of GF homebrew and was hoping to find a way to save it ...
Long story short ... the batch called for 8 oz of syrup and 8 oz of molasses, I was short the syrup so used 16 oz of molasses. Baaaaaaaad idea - the stuff is basically undrinkable.
What I was wondering was .... if I dupe the batch *EXCEPT* using 16 oz of syrup and no molasses and then mix the result with the botched batch .... should that result in the flavor I was working for to begin with? Or will I have just wasted 2 batches instead of one?
I really hate trashing 40+ bottles if I can save them .....

Stash it somewhere cool and revisit it in a year. I used black strap molasses in a batch that called for light and that's about how long it took to mellow.

Are you positive? This stuff tastes like drinking straight molasses. I used 16 oz on a 6 gallon batch.

Stash it somewhere cool and revisit it in a year. I used black strap molasses in a batch that called for light and that's about how long it took to mellow.

+1. Age heals...most things having to do with alcohol. Might be the best beer you've ever had.

16oz isn't that out of line, I think the beer will taste fine in a year or two.

Hmm, well I guess I'll need to revisit my recipe. So, it tastes this way now? How long has it been bottled?

Don't be afraid. Up the ABV a bit and go to town with your molasses if you like the flavor. Make into a nice, aged beast of a beer and I think you will be well rewarded.

Also, I just wanted to say that mixing a bottled batch of beer is damn near impossible without screwing it up. Unless somehow you can get a tiny little siphon into the bottles and siphon into a CO2 filled vessel.

Alright, alright. I'll use a full lb and up the ABV a bit. I'm not scared! :cross:

Just for reference, I had a beer that 5months ago tasted like hoppy rubbing alcohol. Completely undrinkable in any way.

Now, it has just a some fire and a hearty dose of maltiness to go along with a slight hop flavor. Drinkable, but slowly.

In December, when it is actually ready, it will likely be quite malty with slight alcohol burn and a very light hop flavor if any at all. Who wants to take bets on drinkability?

i think im going to do the same with my all extract strawberry blonde. its ohh sooo hot. leave em in the basement and forget em. least for a little while

Back