How does this look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klug

Reaction score
I'm going to make a brown ale with raisins and peach and I wanted some opinions on my recipe.

8# maris otter
1.5 # uk crystal 50-60
.5# american dark 120
2# raisin in boil
1# peaches in boil
5 0z continuous hop (haven't decided on hops yet)

dry hop 1oz hop in secondary with .5# raisin and .5# peach slurry

Bottle carb with beet or brown sugar.

Any critiques would be appreciated! Thanks!

Do you hope to get a lot of flavor from boiling the peaches? No offence, but peaches and raisins in a brown ale sounds nasty.

lol to each his own I guess.

To add I was considering adding some date or beet sugar to the boil but I have no idea how much would be just enough. Anybody have some advice on that?

My attempt was for a hefty amount of raisin flavor and mouth feel that is why I was using both dark crystal and raisins. Do you think I would get a too awkward flavor from the raisins or is it just easier to utilize the grain flavors?

I might not add the peaches to the secondary as I just want a slight hint of the peach flavors.

Skip raisins. Go dark crystal for the raisin/plum flavor.

not to jack the post, but I couldn't help notice rocketman768 that you are holding a hard mallet that should be used on a xylophone. Did you march?

Klug, peaches and raisens don't sound to appetizing. With a brown I would go with peach instead, but that is MHO.

not to jack the post, but I couldn't help notice rocketman768 that you are holding a hard mallet that should be used on a xylophone. Did you march?

Klug, peaches and raisens don't sound to appetizing. With a brown I would go with peach instead, but that is MHO.

Clearly that's a wand and he is about to cast a spell of Fullum Attenium on a fermentor of Saison.

Peaches don't sound too good to me either, but hey I fully support your effort to experiment.

Clearly that's a wand and he is about to cast a spell of Fullum Attenium on a fermentor of Saison.

Hahaha. Indeed, that is a hard mallet for a marimba that I used to play (along with tenor sax) in high school marching band.

Revised recipe!!!!!!!!!11!111111

13# Marris Otter
1# UK crystal 50/60
.5# American crystal 120
.25# chocolate
2# raisin puree at 15 min
.5 brown sugar at 15 min

2 oz columbus 60 min
1 oz fuggles 5 min

English ale or Belgian haven't decided yet

I'm not kegging yet so it will bottle condition with some Dark DME or Brown Sugar.

NO peaches ;). I had to pause from brewing for a bit so luckily I had a chance to ask the locals which they would like and the peaches were out. Although the swmbo wasn't too keen on losing the peach lol

what do you guys think? This will unfortunately be my last AG of the year and maybe even brew of this year. My water bill is getting insanely high and again the swmbo isn't too keen on dishing out the better half of a grand for water, especially at Christmas time lol

Dude, get down to the water store and just fill your carboys with water to brew with. Sure you'll have to play with the water profile a bit, but at 25cents a gallon WHY WOULD YOU EVER STOP?! Heck, even store bought gallons aren't more than a $1.

tis a bit different around here hondo lol. A gallon of water is almost 2.50

also I'm a bit lazy with my sanitizing. I fill tubs with a water and bleach mix to sanitize my bottles. It's not the brewing that is expensive its the 60 gallons of sanitizing water that gets expensive lol. I'm sure there is a better way and I'm sure I will brew something again right after this lol.

Ahhh I see. Well, first you should REALLY consider kegging. Then once you mix your star stans you can keep it in the keg until you are ready to fill it. Take the star sans fill it in another container, fill keg per usual and then add the star sans to the bucket after a good scrub. Least that's what I do for a few brews then get a new solution going. Water is pretty spendy where you are from, but you should still be able to brew cheap enough that its less than the $8 a six pack you'd spend at a liquor mart.

But then again, I'm obsessed with brewing so I'll pretty much find any way to do things efficiently and cheaply to keep me brewing! :mug:

Recipe looks good though.

Yeah I am really trying to move to kegging. It just seems like such an expense being about $300 to start! I know nothing about it to boot lol.

Back