Two simple lager questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
Firstly, I am amusing if you're going to lager the first time and you have a Munich Helles and a Bock to chose from you would chose the Bock to do first as it might mask mistakes more than the Helles, right?

Secondly, I will be doing the "Low Tech Lagering" setup from the "Basic Homebrewing" guys' DVD (round 10 gallon Igloo water cooler holds the fermenter while a cube cooler holds ice water that's pumped via a pond pump controlled by a temp controller into and out of the Igloo through cooper coils). I have bought two of the the temp controllers that's in the gray metal box with a dial. A podcast I heard says you want your temp controller in your beer, not your ambient temperature, which wasn't how the Basic Brewing Guys were doing it, but everything can be improved upon. I will be using an ale pail for primary and a glass 5 gallon carboy for secondary lagering. Can anyone think of a way to get the probe into the bucket and carboy?

Bock would cover more.

Use a temperature controller to turn the pump on and off. Place the temp. probe from the controller inside a stainless tube (Corny dip tube with one end sealed) run the tube through one hole of a double holed stopper (airlock in the other hole) and push the tube down into the wort.

I agree that the bock (as with any darker beer) will cover up any mistakes more then a lighter beer.

And since when is your set up low tech lol?

I just bought a cheap fridge and a thermo couple.

As long as it yields good beer, I guess go for it.

cheers

~r~

Thanks, I'll look into both ideas. That probe looks like the joint at the wire is fat. I'll have to have Brewmaster's Warehouse give me the measurements on that stopper with the probe on it.

Thanks, I'll look into both ideas. That probe looks like the joint at the wire is fat. I'll have to have Brewmaster's Warehouse give me the measurements on that stopper with the probe on it.

The reason it looks fat is because it`s flared to make it easier to insert the probe,the ranco probe fits perfect.

now if you can get the correct tubing,have a flare kit, and a way to weld or braze the end shut you can easily make them yourself.
I just found it easier to click the button on BMW.
I`m lazy sometimes.

I think the flare also prevents the tube from slipping out of the bung into your beer,which is good.

Back