Scorched brewpot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewr4fun

Reaction score
I scorched a couple spots on my brewpot last Saturday brewing a belgian ale. I think I had some candi sugar that didn't get stirred well enough or something. Anyone have any ideas on a good way to get it back to clean? I know you aren't supposed to use scouring pads but I don't think a wash rag will do the trick. Maybe I just need a new pot.

Try some Barkeeper's Friend and a heavy duty scrubbie pad. It's wise to avoid ordinary steel wool pads as they are not stainless steel and can leave behind particles that may rust. It may require considerable elbow grease. You can also try boiling some automatic dishwasher detergent in the kettle to soften up the deposits prior to scrubbing. A wooden scraper could also be used without fear of damaging the pot. Don't give up on it unless it is a very cheap pot and inexpensive to replace. I doubt that is the case though.

Cool thanks for the ideas. Is Brewkeepers friend something you can find at a brew store?

"barkeepers friend" Found in most groceries and hardware stores.
images

Back