Sam Adams Summer Beer clone ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Well,

I was able to get my brewing stuff to temporary housing. This means I will be brewing again very soon :) :).

Since I can't lager (didn't want to take the fridge to temp housing ;) ) I will go for another ale. Ever since I had it up here, Sam Adams Summer Ale has caught my attention. It is an American style wheat with a distinct malty note. That's why I think the following recipe might give me something like that:

50% wheat
35% Pale malt
15% light munic malt
acid malt as needed to adjust PH

OG ~12P
IBUs 12..15 (single hop addition)

Mash with protein rest and saccrification rest to get an FG around between 2 and 2.5P. Decoction is optional since I don't think Sam Adams runs a decoction mash for this beer.

yeast: 1056 (clean ale yeast)

Has anyone attempted a clone for that beer yet? What was the recipe?

Kai

Remember that wheat I first tried AG with. That was actually taken from one of the clone books. SA Summer ale... I'll try to find the thread....

Here is the recipe I found in the thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8276

I believe somewhere in that thread you had mentioned that it would have worked better had I not do a single infusion.

Here is the recipe I attempted. I got from NA Clone Brews, its a Sam Adams Summer Ale clone.

4lb Malted Wheat
5lb Pilsner Malt
8oz Carapl Malt
1 lb Flaked Wheat

1. Mash with 3 1/2 gal water at 152 for 90 min
2. Sparge with 4 Gal water

1. Boil for 15 min, add 4 AAU Hallertau Hops
2. Boil for 40 min
3. Add 1 oz shredded lemon zest
4. Boil 5 min, Add 2 AAU Halertau hops.

Yeast Wyeast 3944

gruntingfrog said:
And I thought my basketball coach was the only one who believed in 110%.
:D

Thanks for catching that. I changed the Pale Malt to 35%.

BeerSnob, I remebmer your mash and didn't realize that it was a Sam Adams clone. My clone brew books are packet, so I can't look at the recipe there. But I want to stick with only malted grains anyway, so I'll end up with a Sam Adams Summer Beer inspired american wheat instead. They also mention on the label that it is brewed with lemon zest and grains of paradise, which I don't plan to add either. Adding some acid malt should give me some refreshing tartness. I'll have to see what mash PH I'll get with the water here.

Kai

Yeah you can certainly taste the lemon... not sure about the grains of paradise. I bought a package and forgot to use it. Want to try this beer again. Hey are you going to use WLP351? They only make it July and August. My LHBS tells me they get it and I'll probably brew once they do.

Here is White labs say about it.... (homebrew_99 knows a lot about it)

Bavarian Weizen Ale* Available July/August
(WLP351)

Former Yeast Lab W51 yeast strain, acquired from Dan McConnell. The description originally used by Yeast lab still fits: " This strain produces a classic German-style wheat beer, with moderately high, spicy phenolic overtones reminiscent of cloves."
Attenuation: 73-77; Flocculation: Low; Optimum Ferm. Temp: 66-70

Beer Snob said:
Hey are you going to use WLP351?

I don't get any of that estery/phenolic character from SASA, that's why I planned to use Cali Ale (1056).

Kai

Kaiser said:
50% wheat
35% Pale malt
15% light munic malt
acid malt as needed to adjust PH

Kai

Hey Kai, I was browsing through "Homebrew Favorites" yesterday at borders. I found a wheat there.

4 Pounds German 2 Row
4 Pounds German Malted wheat
1/2 Pound Vienna malt
1/2 Pound Rolled oats
2 ounces Hallertauer ,3 Percent (60 min)
1/2 ounce Hallertauer,3 Percent (30 min)

Pretty straight forward looking... not sure if you can do a sincle infusion with this though (you would certainly know). Though what was very not straight forward though was the mash. Was VERY complex. I did not even want to write all the steps. There was like 6 seperate steps! Starting at I think, 90 degrees.... up to mashout. My question to you is why would there be such a complex mash scheduale? Pretty new to this, but this recipe certainly does not look all that complex..... thoughts? The notes said it had won several awards.

Like you I am searching for a Wheat recipe... ordered 351 from the LHBS.

Beer Snob said:
Starting at I think, 90 degrees.... up to mashout. My question to you is why would there be such a complex mash scheduale? Pretty new to this, but this recipe certainly does not look all that complex..... thoughts?
The first step was undoubtebly an acid rest which would acidify the wort and release ferulic acid which is a precursor to 4-vinyl guaiacol, one of the major flavor components of Hefeweizens. The acidic wort would have an extra tartness which would be quite refreshing in a summery type ale.

The other steps were probably protein->beta amylase->alpha amylase->mashout which is how a German wheat beer would traditionally be brewed (using decoctions, as well!). Eric Warner's book in the Classic Beer Series is indispensable for the lowdown on how these beers are traditionally produced.

Does anybody know if SA actually use lemon flavoring in that beer? I haven't had one in years. Perhaps is just a very acidic beer that has a lemony tartness.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Does anybody know if SA actually use lemon flavoring in that beer? I haven't had one in years. Perhaps is just a very acidic beer that has a lemony tartness.

The clone called for lemon essence of one lemon. It did not look like a lot.... I think if I would do it again I would do two.

Baron von BeeGee said:
The first step was undoubtebly an acid rest which would acidify the wort and release ferulic acid which is a precursor to 4-vinyl guaiacol, one of the major flavor components of Hefeweizens. The acidic wort would have an extra tartness which would be quite refreshing in a summery type ale.

This beer is not a German Style Hefeweizen. It doesn't have the esters and phenolic notes. There is a slight tartness and a malty finish with little hop bitterness. That's why I will not go for a ferulic acid rest. Some acid malt to adjust the PH should give me the desired tartness.

Kai

Back