Taking my first keg camping...have questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzman

Reaction score
Hey all. I've just about rounded up everything I need to keg my first batch. I plan to take this keg (pinlock corny) camping the week after Christmas. My thought is to leave the keg in a large plastic bucket with ice, adding more ice as needed.

I am concerned with bugs in/around the picnic tap. I thought of cutting a hole in the side of a tupperware container and keeping the tap inside of that when not in use. Any suggestions?

Also, I am going to use an out of date 20# CO2 bottle to carbonate. It currently has 900lbs of pressure in it. I know that it will need to get a new hydro before getting filled. Is the air in it sufficient to get me started for the trip? Of should I just have it dumped and tested since that air is probably 8 years old?

Has anybody taken a keg camping and can share any other tips?

Thanks

Your tank should be ok, just be sure to get it tested when you fill it (no place should fill it without testing though). Be sure to bring some kind of CO2 tank, else you'll never get any beer out of that keg. I recommend a plastic bag and a rubber band over the tap to prevent bugs.

Instead of lugging a 20# co2 tank around, I suggest going this route.

Get yourself one of these

and if your feeling like spending a few extra, one of these

When I go camping, saving space is always on tap :)

Oh god, that was a completely unintentional pun.
think of it this way, in the space of the 20# tank, you could put a second keg.

Instead of lugging a 20# co2 tank around, I suggest going this route.

Get yourself one of these

and if your feeling like spending a few extra, one of these

When I go camping, saving space is always on tap :)

Oh god, that was a completely unintentional pun.
think of it this way, in the space of the 20# tank, you could put a second keg.
Stupid work computer blocked the midwestsupplies link. I'm guessing it is linking to smaller tanks? I have several 20oz paintball tanks that I could likely use I suppose. They have pin valves but I have an adapter that I could rig up to the reg.

I'm all for saving space for a second keg. :rockin: That'll have to be for next year's trip though as I only own one keg, will only have one batch of beer ready in time, and swmbo would kill me if I spend any more money. lol

bsay, the rubberband idea may just be what I use. As soon as my tap comes in the mail I'll toy around with that a bit. It's gotta be relatively easy to get into, especially after already having a few pints. ;)

800 in a 20lb tank will get you through a few kegs.

Instead of getting your tank test, just swap it. Our HomeDepot had 10 and 20lb tanks, contracted through PraxAir.

800 in a 20lb tank will get you through a few kegs.

Instead of getting your tank test, just swap it. Our HomeDepot had 10 and 20lb tanks, contracted through PraxAir.

Hmmm, interesting. You can swap air tanks at HomeDepot? I always just assumed I'd need to do it at a supply store. Me likey this idea very much. Looks like I need to make a phone call, though I'll definitely use this air up first.

I figure I'll test all of my fittings for the first time by running some cleaner through the system.

I had an idea pop into my head this morning so I'll rehash this thread to run it by.

The plastic bag and rubberband will surely keep any buggies out of the picnic tap but would surely waste precious seconds...j/k. Anyways, what if I kept a bowl of idophor solution nearby and keep the tap submersed between pours? Wouldn't this ensure things stay sanitary? Perhaps just give the tap a li'l shake before pouring?

Bad idea? Thanks again.

I don't think it would be a problem. It should be fine. However when I go camping, space is at a premium, and I wouldn't want to have to lug sanitizer on a camping trip.

I like your original idea so how about just drilling a hole in the side of a container (like Tupperware maybe... though my SWMBO would KILL me if I used Tupperware and not something cheap) just large enough to allow your beer tube to slide through it easily and then put the picnic tap back on the tube? No chance for bugs to get in when you put the cover back on it and it would be easy to use after even several pints. A small rectangular one would look great too.

I used to take my rolling icecube with a 3-gallon corny in it but I kept running out of beer before coming home. So I built a 3-keg kegerator to take camping. It's a 44-gallon rubbermade trashcan with a galvanized trashcan inside of it. I lined the space between the two with insulation. The inner can is 6 inches shorter inside leaving plenty of room for the taps. When not in use, try pacifiers to keep the bugs out.

I use the combination below when I go camping. This cuts way down on weight because you don't have to carry ice. I have the keg on ice until I reach the trail head, then I wrap with the bubble insulation and cover that with the Keglove. This usually keeps my keg cold for about a day and a half (maybe longer but the beer has never made it past that long:D).

Keglove:Products

images

I also use this with great success:Austin Homebrew Supply
Again, cuts WAY down on weight. It usually takes three or four cartridges to serve a five gallon keg.

As for bugs, the only bugs I've ever had a problem with at the tap are yellow jackets. In most parts of the country, it's probably too cold for them right now. Besides you're camping right? One with nature and all that. The best part about homebrew is sharing, be it with man or beast.:mug:

Bugs in January?
You must be someplace warm. Ain't no bugs around here in January, and yes I do go tent camping in the middle of winter. No need to worry about bugs or keeping the keg cold, mother natures got it covered. :cool:

I think your putting too much time and effort into bugs. You may think that your beer is the best thing on earth and everybody in thier brother wants some. Bugs got a different perspective. You wont have any problems if you keep the tapper off the ground. You may get an ocasional fly or two stopping on the tapper, but that is no worse than them stopping on your glass. When your not drinking, rst the tappr on top of the keg. As long as you dont store the keg on a ant hill you wont have any problems.

As for backpacking, everclear is a great option. We use it for cooking fuel, and medicianal purposes. If you need a shot of something a little less potent, bring a flask of whiskey/burbon. Beer weighs too much for backpacking.

Camping in central, East Florida...right across the river from the Shuttle pad. It has been hit or miss in past years with skeeters and no seeums (sp?).

I can drive right up to the camp site which is really only 20 minutes away from home so space isn't too big of an issue.

Maybe I am being too concerned about buggies and such. It's not like the keg will last for the whole trip. :drunk: I guess I really need to invest in another.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

A paint ball tank is a reasonable solution if you have an adapter or you can use one of the CO2 chargers like a couple of the links pointed to. These take CO2 cartridges and connect directly to a gas-in coupler. Takes up much less space than even a small tank and you don't risk damage to you regulator. Just chill and carb using the tank an coupler before leaving.

Craig

Back