Wall heat from burners in new brew shed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooMooBrew

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm putting up my walls in my brew shed and wanted to find out what others who brew on gas indoors have done with the back wall and how to deal with the heat issues involved.

I promise pictures as i move on with this project.

Dont put it directly on the wall keep it out about a foot mine dont even get hot

ForumRunner_20130808_163716.jpg

ForumRunner_20130808_163755.jpg

Since you are putting up walls, another option is to consider using Durock behind your brew station. You can drywall the rest. If you wanna be fancy, you could then tile over the Durock for an added layer of heat resistant protection.

Many localities make this decision for you in the building code. Check your local zoning laws. Even if the shed is below the SqFt requirements for enforcement you can still use them. There is, if you haven't seen it already, a whole thread on wooden brew sculptures filled with solutions on keeping things from burning.

I don't have a brew shed, but if I did, I would use either cement board or corrugated steel like they use for roofing or siding. I was at a Menards the other day and you can buy it in long sheets in different colors.

A foot is prime real estate in the shed was maybe thinking of using a refractory material on the wall instead of drywall. Thoughts?

Durock is a great insulator. In my brewshed, my woodstove pipe was fairly close to my woodpile...close enough that it actually started some of the wood smoldering. A piece of durock 6 inches from the stove pipe solved that problem. Metal won't stop the heat transfer nearly as well.

i use durock on the shed wall behind my brewstand. The stand is about 8" away with 3 bg14s running low pressure. No heat issues with the wall.

Durock is a good start but it's just that, a start.
If you insist on having the burners within a foot of the wall put up fireplace bricks.

Back