I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope it all works out well for everyone BobbiLynn.

I need to spend more time in the beginner threads and FAQ's.
But I have not seen this really dumb question:

Why do we siphon out of buckets?
Why not just use a spigot and hose when going to secondary or direct bottling?

Given my experience last night of not being able to maintain a siphon and finally just pouring the beer through a metal coffee strainer to get it out...
And, yes there were bubbles on top of each bottle as the wife capped.
I left plenty of room in the bottles for fear of what I had wrought!

I'm sure they will be drinkable, just not premium.

I do use the spigot instead of siphon. Are you talking your bottling bucket or a carboy.

Given my experience last night of not being able to maintain a siphon and finally just pouring the beer through a metal coffee strainer to get it out...

You can use spigot and hose!!! Lots of people on this site make things way more difficult than they need to. Hanging out in beginners section, you could get lots of bad advice. And next time, just let bottles sit til bubbles go away, then cap. But it'll be fine, you are learning! Jump in with both feet, it's fun!!!

Hope it all works out well for everyone BobbiLynn.

I need to spend more time in the beginner threads and FAQ's.
But I have not seen this really dumb question:

Why do we siphon out of buckets?

Definitely use a bucket with a spigot to bottle. Attach your wand (get one if you don't have it) with a short piece of hose and raise the bottle up.

You siphon from a bucket to the bottling bucket (or a secondary is you need to bulk age) to avoid mixing the trub into the beer you bottle

I think bottling was the hardest bit I had to learn and I started out fly sparging. I was ready to stop brewing if I had to go through the hell I had made bottling to be. But now I have a system that works for me and I really kind of enjoy it now. And that is the secret to it all is to find a system that works for you and run with it

Bobbi, you just keep getting more and more interesting. Did you say your in Carolina? Which one? I love rusty old junk!

I have family in South Carolina(so may have mentioned it) but actually I live in North Florida. On the corner where the rest of the state meets the panhandle. We have a 350 acre farm here. Much of it is pine trees we sell for lumber but already sold what we could for a while, thinning them. Gotta just wait and watch them grow now. :cross: If/when we do have an event here, I don't see why we can't invite people from HBT. Plenty of places to camp here. Make a weekend of it. Everyone just so caught up in hubby's illness(cancer that spread) that we're off track. He's constantly in and out of the hospital. Bring some spending money to buy junk and you are invited!

I have family in South Carolina(so may have mentioned it) but actually I live in North Florida. On the corner where the rest of the state meets the panhandle. We have a 350 acre farm here. Much of it is pine trees we sell for lumber but already sold what we could for a while, thinning them. Gotta just wait and watch them grow now. :cross: If/when we do have an event here, I don't see why we can't invite people from HBT. Plenty of places to camp here. Make a weekend of it. Everyone just so caught up in hubby's illness(cancer that spread) that we're off track. He's constantly in and out of the hospital. Bring some spending money to buy junk and you are invited!

If you find any carnival rides out in the rust field, let me know.

Heh, Midlands South Carolinian myself.

I do have a bottling wand.
Not as concerned about bottling method as I am about using a spigot to go from primary to secondary.
All of my vessels are either buckets or Mr. Beer containers.

I still have one in the fermenter to be dealt with as far as siphoning goes, but after that all of my buckets will get spigots.
Thanks all!

:D

If you find any carnival rides out in the rust field, let me know.

American Picker?
That was a cool episode, where they found the boats?
Or was it cars?
:mug:

The freaky one was the flooded out park, with those giant hand painted murals.
Strange dreams from that one.

Sunday night.
A little of this...

:ban:

A nightcap and it's time to rack.

Not as concerned about bottling method as I am about using a spigot to go from primary to secondary.

I still have one in the fermenter to be dealt with as far as siphoning goes, but after that all of my buckets will get spigots.
Thanks all!

Definitely NOT. a good idea. Transferring to a bottling bucket or to secondary for conditioning and additions should be siphoned. The whole point is to leave as many solids behind as possible. Both suspended and coagulated. Get a good autosiphon, keep the full bucket/carboy at a higher elevation at its bottom than the empty one at its top. Make sure the autosiphon is snuggly attached to the hose. Make sure the hose is long enough to reach the bottom of the bottling bucket/secondary container. Make sure everything is sanitized and that little cap is on the bottom of the autosiphon. Pump slowly until siphon is started then just watch the liquid flow.

Thanks all!

I used to use bottling buckets so that I could transfer easily after fermentation. Not a wise choice. Those crappy spigots will leak on you. Maybe not the first couple times, but they will leak. It doesn't make much of a mess, but it makes it almost impossible to sanitize the spigot before you transfer. After a while, you figure out it's better to rack from the top anyway. Less sediment to worry about. It you're going into secondary though, the sediment isn't a concern.

Not a bad idea. Some friends were talking about hosting a musical event here on the property as a fund raiser for hubby. We are paying out of pocket for his medications and medical supplies. Live music/auction... sounds good. There is even a Jaguar(sports car) in [almost] running condition and looks pretty good. Not sure the year, but it's been in the barn covered for almost 15 years. We also found so much cast iron cookware, 40+ pieces that can be cleaned up with hubby's oxygenator machine thing. Like a current that runs to a huge metal tub, drop rusty stuff into it and in a couple days, no more rust. Yeah, time to get to work, raise some money, keep this farm going strong.

Just build a big fire preferably with hardwood, and throw the cast iron in it. Heat till its all red for a hour or so then remove from the fire and let cool. Then all you have to do is season them up with oil. Much quicker than cleaning with electrical current, you can also clean up a bunch of it at the same time.

But the OT will be nice.

OT is nice. Not that nice, tho.

I bet you're good at confusing your drinking buddies. Hey Barney, what day is it? :)

My schedule is a *****. Hate it, but it comes with the territory. (power plant).

The whole world is working monday-friday days, and when the cool stuff goes on, during their weekends, its my mid week. How come none of this stuff happens on Wed? And dont say no one would go, cuz I would!

My schedule is a *****. Hate it, but it comes with the territory. (power plant).

The whole world is working monday-friday days, and when the cool stuff goes on, during their weekends, its my mid week. How come none of this stuff happens on Wed? And dont say no one would go, cuz I would!

This thread started out to be for people who keep strange hours.

I work nights, 2300-0800, with rotating days off. Two days off one week, three days the next, pushing my "weekends" (we call them swings) up one day every other week. I actually enjoy both aspects of my schedule. Being off in the middle of the week is great when you have young kids. It's even better when you're anti-social. :)

This thread started out to be for people who keep strange hours.

I work nights, 2300-0800, with rotating days off. Two days off one week, three days the next, pushing my "weekends" (we call them swings) up one day every other week. I actually enjoy both aspects of my schedule. Being off in the middle of the week is great when you have young kids. It's even better when you're anti-social. :)

Kids are gone. All growed up. And I do like going to functions on weekends. But I've been doing this all my adult life. It is stable and pays the bills. What do you do? Oh and we call "swings" what I do. I work three second and two third shifts a week. A swing shift.

Oh...OK.
Guess I'm still a little peeved I couldn't get a siphon going no matter what I tried.

Hope the autosiphon at the LBHS will be OK, that's what I'll get.

See that is why you need to find what works for you and run with it. Barney is right. Is what I do right as well....yes it is at least for me. Lots of people do not secondary and lots of folks like me do secondary. If you are racking into a secondary using the spigot is fine since not much trub will be pulled in.

I secondary for dry hopping, or other flavor additions like oak or cacao chips. I also rack every batch into a carboy, condition at fermentation temps off of the cake for a few days then cold crash it for a few before kegging.

The system that works for me the best is use the spigot from the primary to a better bottle for secondary then siphon into a bottling tote after a week or two. I get very little trub doing this and it lets me harvest the yeast sooner or I would not even secondary.

I would say about brewing that there are definite things you should not do that will pretty much ruin a beer. But then I would also say there are many good ways to make a great beer and none are better for the most part.

Brewing should be fun and part of making it fun is finding ways to make the hard bits easier. My bottling set up would not work for many people but because I got a bum back it works great for me. It takes me longer but I can get it done with out having to kill myself.

The system that works for me the best is use the spigot from the primary to a better bottle for secondary then siphon into a bottling tote after a week or two. I get very little trub doing this and it lets me harvest the yeast sooner or I would not even secondary.

I would say about brewing that there are definite things you should not do that will pretty much ruin a beer. But then I would also say there are many good ways to make a great beer and none are better for the most part.

Brewing should be fun and part of making it fun is finding ways to make the hard bits easier. My bottling set up would not work for many people but because I got a bum back it works great for me. It takes me longer but I can get it done with out having to kill myself.

Well, carrying over trub wont kill a beer in secondary, wont really affect flavor at all much. More of a clarity thing. As long as you use a hose on your spigot and dont splash the beer during transfer.

Oh I agree for sure. LOL if people want to see a convoluted brew day they should ought to see me brew. Having a bum back makes up for some really weird brewing:mug:

Oh...OK.
Guess I'm still a little peeved I couldn't get a siphon going no matter what I tried.

Hope the autosiphon at the LBHS will be OK, that's what I'll get.

See all the different opinions? Pick it up and just dump it in, when the siphon pisses you off. Pour into your mr. beer kegs and bottle from there. Just pour slowly as you can to prevent air bubbles. If air bubbles occur, just let them die down, loosely cover any device with sanitized tin foil or something else, if it takes more than 10 or 20 minutes for air bubbles to go away. Oxygenation of beer takes times and for most beginners, and beginner kits, not enough time to make it skunky. Beginners almost always rush things. Or they follow the instructions on how much time it takes. Always at least double the amount of time the kits tell you.

/\/\ bad advice /\/\ Don't really just pour it, but I have done it when siphon pissed me off and worked out fine.

Kids are gone. All growed up. And I do like going to functions on weekends. But I've been doing this all my adult life. It is stable and pays the bills. What do you do? Oh and we call "swings" what I do. I work three second and two third shifts a week. A swing shift.

We call the days off swings, not the shift. I know some jobs call the midnight shift "the swing shift".

I'm a sergeant in the NYPD. I did midnights for about 6 years as a cop mixed in with some horrible time on day tours. Thankfully I got a midnight slot when I got promoted.

Exactly what it was. I cheated.
Not really. Commercially made cheddar has coloring in it. The aging doesn't impart that much color. :)

Once in a while I have a chorizo and nutella sandwich so... I think I´ll like that :D, I mean I like peanut butter and LOVE bacon why not to have them both in a sandwich then?
This sounds bizarrely delicious. I think I will have to try this next time I've got some chorizo.

Troll was my first thought. Where's Revvy, the HBT's historian. He'd point out the epic Drunken Ramble.. many have tried, few succeed.

Something about a couch and front porch.
Wait, I can put a coach on my front porch????
Had to figure that was coming eventually. I must admit, I very rarely eat bacon. I like it and all, but I find good ribs to be MUCH better than bacon.
How about bacon cut into the shape of ribs?
That's great! Although I live in dairy land (lovely smell) I don't have access to raw milk. I was just reading yesterday that sheep's milk is high in protein and vitamins and produces two and a half times more cheese than cow's or goat's milk. It also takes less rennet, less salt, the curds can be cut larger and less pressure is used.

Sounds like you are in a win-win situation!
It would be very interesting to know what this tastes like.
Selling junk is a lot of work. Lots of digging around, wrestling with car parts, trying to find tractor parts... We have 25+ old broken down cars and trucks and massive amounts of other things. 2 campers. Some neat looking metal lockers, like old shop lockers with the top shelf and place to hang stuff. Used to be painted red and you can see into them, you know not solid metal, like grid pattern whatever you call it. Going to put one in my shed because I just like the rustic way it looks. Just so much stuff it's overwhelming, 3 generations of hoarders attributed to the collection. Need to call American Pickers, they would be impressed, rusty stuff as far as the eye can see. Huge barn packed full then 1-2 acres behind it with stuff everywhere. Coolers alone, at least 30, in various shapes and sizes. Old, good quality ones. Might be able to put those in the classified section here.

One word... overwhelming... glad hubby agreed to start selling some stuff. We got a bunch of pictures today but my nephew has the memory card thing with all the pics on it. He's going to start putting some stuff on craigslist.

Long day....
While I was living in my last apartment I threw away, or donated, half of my possessions. I'm not a hoarder or anything, but I did have things I had no expectation of ever needing again. I found it liberating. Like everything I got rid of was weight off my shoulders.

Calling yourself a swings around here would mean something rather different. :p
/\/\ bad advice /\/\ Don't really just pour it, but I have done it when siphon pissed me off and worked out fine.
I decant from primary into my bottling bucket all the time. I mean this literally. I pick up the fermentor and pour brew into the bottling bucket until I start getting trub. It does stir things up, but a couple days in the bottling bucket usually takes care of that.

Leadgolem,

Thank you for that wonderful music. Many years ago I spent a few weeks in Christchurch New Zealand, on the way to "The Ice". Antarctica. While in Christchurch I went to an Irish pub. It was called "The Loft". Live band played Irish music, everybody danced, mostly just jumped up and down swinging arms and kicking up the knees. Man, it was fun. That's only been 20 or so years ago. The place probably isn't around anymore but the music lives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Way back in the mid eighties there was this little street corner bar in Atsugi Japan, right across the street from the main gate of the airbase where I was stationed. NAF Atsugi. I at that time was a very young Sailor. The ship I usually lived on was stationed in Yokosuka Japan when not at sea but I was an Airdale. When the ship was inport the airwing operated out of Atsugi. Seemed like we were only home (Japan) a few months out of each year and always seemed to be the winter.

Getting back to the bar across the street. An old Mama'san ran it. I use to go over there for a bowl of hot ramen and a beer once in awhile. Just a dive really but warm and comforting. In the winter, when you walk in from the damp chilly air your are welcomed by the warmth and smell of a kerosene heater. It was very comforting for some reason. The place was more of a rectangle than square. After the front entrance everything was on the right. So make a 90 and the small bar was on the left with 4 or 5 booths that paralleled it to the right. At the end of the booths was a jukebox that probably hadn't been updated in a zillion years.

This sounds narcissitic and it probably is. There was an old song on that jukebox, Danny Boy. I haven't heard that version in many years but when my son, also Danny, was young I use to sing it to him. The meaning of this song is not certain but seems to be a father's talk to his son who is soon going to war while the father waits at home. There are other versions of the story. If you know of one please share.

No matter what, this tune is haunting and mystical to me and to many others or I'm sure it wouldn't have lasted so long.

Can't find the old mama san's juke box version. It might have just gone away when that old bar closed down. Forty-five records were no longer a part of juke boxes.

Since I can't find that one I remember, will just play the magical tune song by one of many. This one is from Johnny Cash

Leadgolem,

Thank you for that wonderful music. Many years ago I spent a few weeks in Christchurch New Zealand, on the way to "The Ice". Antarctica. While in Christchurch I went to an Irish pub. It was called "The Loft". Live band played Irish music, everybody danced, mostly just jumped up and down swinging arms and kicking up the knees. Man, it was fun. That's only been 20 or so years ago. The place probably isn't around anymore but the music lives.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljmpKk4F30s

I thought we agreed no more fiddles!!!

I thought we agreed no more fiddles!!!
fiddle+faddle.jpg

Leadgolem,

Was onsite at ANZ and Bank of New Zealand in Wellington. Damn, if it wasn't a almost a 24 hour trip, I would be there for yearly vacations.

Latest posts

Back