16oz Plastic Lipton Ice Tea Bottes for bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guttoc27

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with, or opinions about bottling in the plastic Lipton Ice Tea bottles (16oz)? Do they hold up to the carbonation pressures created?

I apologize if this has been previously discussed, I couldn't find a thread about it.

Thank you!

No first-hand experience, but I'd guess probably not. It's possible they are bottled using the same bottles as carbonated drinks that share the bottling facility. Given the push in the beverage industries toward lower cost / lower waste, I'd be a bit surprised if they were using carbonation-spec bottles for an uncarbonated beverage, though.

If you don't get any other answers and feel adventurous, I'd start by carefully comparing the bottle (thickness, ribbing, cap seal, threads) to a carbonated soda bottle. If they look very similar, then I'd do one of those bottles on my next batch and store it in a cooler or plastic trash bag or something ton contain any disasters. If that worked and it held carb, well, I guess you could try a whole batch. I wouldn't, but you could. :) (There's no guarantee that your single bottle test wasn't a "hero" sample and that they don't all have what it takes.)

Not to discourage you, but why. There's already a really good container for holding beer... a beer bottle. There's lots of places to get them free and they're not that expensive new.

However, if I recall the lipton bottles never seemed too thin the way water bottles do so you may be ok. But I never felt that comfortable trying to re-sanitize the multi piece caps that come with plastic bottles.

I have been saving and reusing Pepsi Max brown PET bottles with good success. My advice would be to try one. Worst case it doesn't make it and it pops, just put it in a Rubbermaid container with a lid on it.

My concern is with flavor scalping, some flavors will and others wont. Lighter beer will tell the tale.

As for WHY??? Many parks and like places do not allow glass. Since cans are out for most of us PET is a great alternative...

Ah, I concede the nature aspect of the plastic bottle. Not much of a parks guy myself and too far from the beach to be an issue. But why no home canning line :)

Tea is a strong flavor, I would be worried about the plastic and particularly the rubber lining of the cap retaining flavor and aroma. Only one way to test whether it works, but make sure you clean them very well and pay close attention to whether any smell remains after cleaning.

Kinda like rootbeer, you'll never ever ever ever never ever get that flavor out of the bottle.

I'm going to start fermenting smaller batches in 5 gallon plastic water cooler jugs. Anyone see an issue with this? I need to see if my airlocks will fit, but I think everything else should be fine.

I'm going to start fermenting smaller batches in 5 gallon plastic water cooler jugs. Anyone see an issue with this? I need to see if my airlocks will fit, but I think everything else should be fine.

As long as you can sanitize it you'll be fine. Keep in mind that clear containers should be kept out of direct light. Stick a T-shirt over the jug with the airlock sticking out and you'll be fine.

Back