Pear beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likwidbliss

Reaction score
I juiced gallons of pears from my trees to make wine with and have about 2 gallons that I froze to use in a beer. I tasted a beer made by Southern Tier Brewery recently make with apples. Not sure how it is exactly done, but I assume it is done by fermenting on apple slices. I want to try a beer with a gallon of pear juice at the end of the boil. I'll just dump it in.

My bill will most likely be a 2 row with some crystal 10 or 20. I haven't determined the amounts yet. My dilemma is with the hops. There are a couple of choices. I like Calypso and cascade as choices.

1 oz Cascade 60 min
0.5 oz Calypso 20 min
0.5 oz Calypso at flame out

I want to impart a fruity pear flavor and Calypso seems to have that from what I have read.

Critiques please!

:fro:

I love the idea, but please don't put the juice in the boil. Instead, treat a gallon of juice with 1 campden tablet or even half a campden tablet 2 days before you brew. This will very effectively sterilize the juice. You can then chill the juice and add it to the fermenter to help bring the beer down to pitching temps but DO NOT boil it. Boiling will result in cooked fruit flavors, and gelatinize the pectin meaning that the beer will always be cloudy. Id love to hear how this goes, I have 25 gallons of fresh pressed cider going now, 6 of it Seckel pear juice which has an amazing flavor

My intent was to add the juice at flameout once it has thawed to lower the temp. I will cool it first then add juice. The juice is sterile on campden, left over from wine. I had a couple of glasses prior to freezing at it was awesome. The pears are Comice pears, round and yellow. I am going to pick the rest of the pears tomorrow and help wife can some. Left overs ... make more juice.

Will keep posted on results.

I made a pear IPA, using chopped, previously frozen pears in the secondary. Turned out pretty good.

Make sure the pears are peeled, as the peels add astringency after a couple of months of age.

This is what I am going to do.

8 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 84.21 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 10.53 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 19.5 IBU
0.50 oz Calypso [12.80 %] (20 min) Hops 13.8 IBU
0.50 oz Calypso [12.80 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 gal Pear Juice (Primary 5.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash as usual.

If you want to add at the end of the boil and don't want the haze you can use pectic enzyme. I have used it with boiled juice for cider with great results. Cheap too.

I never posted the results of my pear ale. It was clean and crisp with a slight dryness. There was a slight pear caramel taste. I have several pounds of frozen pears from this past summer in the freezer. I am going to put the pears in the secondary.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back