Slugs in beer keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris3504

Reaction score
Alright, I've searched google with no luck. This isn't a home brew question exactly but let me ask you guys. I have a Kegorator,cleaned the lines between kegs and now I have slugs... Yeah,slugs. Every few glasses ill get a little white with a black stripe slug in the pour. How is this possible? I just realized the keg expired before i bought it so shame on the distributor but have you heard of this? Or is it more likely that a slug is crawling up into the tap end and coming out with a pour. Sounds impossible. I need support before i return the keg. i live in NJ... Beer is cold... House is normal temperature... tap is clean.
Thanks!

That is nasty, I hope your not drinking it haha. I don't think I want to know what brewery it came from. I really don't know where slugs would come from.

Growing up, a pest inspector told my mom to put a dish of beer out to kill the slugs that we had. It worked. They seem to love the stuff. They crawl in and drown. I'd guess its crawling up the tap. Usually, they leave trails - maybe take a look around and see if you can figure out where they're coming in.

They are tiny... not like a pour salt on it kind of slug... More like the length of your pinky finger nail and as thick a a cooked grain of rice. Maybe one crawls up into the tap each day....? Doesn't seem possible... Into the house,up the fridge.... Bypass the drip tray that may have a puddle of beer in it,up the tower, and into the spout.... Its like a game show obsticle. Now that i mention it,when i get home I am going to check the drip tray. and yes,slugs like beer... So ill leave a tray of beer out. And if.I catch the same slugs then they r coming from the outside.i have about a quarter of this 1/6th left. Just noticed them last week.I now have to pour through a strainer into a glass... thats how i caught one lastnight.

They aren't in your beer, they're likely in the tip of the spout. Get a spout cover and leave it on when you're not pouring.

I doubt they are IN the keg. It's more likely they are in the end of your tap. Do you have those little rubber tap covers?

That's not a slug buddy, that's a maggot or maybe a corn worm. Slugs will leave a slime trail.

Yes maggot or corn worm! I was just telling a buddy at work it looked like a maggot. Soooo I dont have a dead squirrel in my tag handle soooo.... It's in the keg?

No,its in the kitchen. If its a maggot, then why is it so sporatic... why not in the drip tray... why not in a beer cup that I may leave out overnight with a bit of swill in it. Lol. Is it possible they r in the keg? Any change? I am going to stir up the keg a bit tonight and let it run for 30 seconds... and then leave some beer out on the counter for the fly and his maggot reindeer. Im out of ideas.... Thanks for the input guys.

I would fully strip this down and first of all steep in boiling water, then santisie throughly, then give a vigorous cold rinse. Could be you have some eggs in there somewhere, which would explain the small size and sporadic appearance. Do you have other kegs and is this happenning with them?

Are you using a standard faucet or a perlick forward sealing faucet. If it's a regular faucet it could very well be mold growing inside the faucet. It will come off when the beer flows and will look like slimy slugs. Mold grows very fast and given 24 hours it could return. I would untap the keg, take the faucet off and dis assemble. If there is mold it will be growing on the sealing plunger thing inside. Take the nut off by the handle pull the plastic pieces out with the lever then you should be able to push the plunger ( don't know the official name) out. See if it's growing your slugs on it.

Fruit fly or cupboard moth, maybe. I've had trouble over the years with them. Once I started cleaning the taps with sanitizer after every use, end of trouble. Get a baby bottle nipple brush and keep it in a glass of sanitizer nearby.

I really doubt they are IN the keg. Its like everyone is telling you, they are in the tap. De pressurize, disconnect and disassemble your taps. Clean, sanitize and reconnect. Then cover the spouts

Edit. i poured an earwig once. it was in the spout too. i covered after that.

+1. You can drive yourself nuts trying to figure out where they're coming from. Tear it apart and clean profusely. Then in the future, cover that spout!

Back