Columbus or Simcoe bittering hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joyceman

Reaction score
Both are around the same AA number. Can anyone tell me why to choose one over the other as a bittering hop?

FYI working on a Fathead's Head Hunter IPA recipe. They use Simcoe, Columbus and Cascade.

I would personally use Columbus to bitter, and use Simcoe later in the boil. Reason being, I feel that the unique flavor and aroma of Simcoe would be wasted if it was used for Bittering.

I love Columbus but I would bitter with it for the sole reason that it is much easier and less expensive to acquire. I only use my Simcoe for aroma and flavor.

I love Columbus but I would bitter with it for the sole reason that it is much easier and less expensive to acquire. I only use my Simcoe for aroma and flavor.

+1....Columbus is dirt cheap...I just bought a POUND for six dollars. Save the Simcoe for late hop additions or First Wort Hop with it. That way you will still get a ton of Simcoe flavor.

Back