House-Shed-Garage+Spare Bedroom+Murphy Bed=Brewery!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbradford

Reaction score
I was considering getting a shed for the brewery, but after realizing the expensed of putting electric, water, and heat to it, it made more sense to convert the spare bedroom into a brewery. This is the first step in the process, and that was building a Murphy bed. Started yesterday at 4pm and worked until 2am. Gotta finish some of the stain and chalkboard paint today, but shoud be done today!

Here is a shot of the murphy bed in progress...and a google sketchup of the brewery (not finished)...

bed2.jpg

bed3.jpg

bed5.jpg

brewery.jpg

Does the Murphy bed actually fold down, or will that be a future enhancement? :) Seriously, I'd like to see a pic of it down if you get a chance.

Ya it folds and barely clears the fan... I haven't stained the interior, so no pics of that till tomorrow:) fan is a definite!!! Also a sink :)

Just finished staining and a second coat on the chalkboard...

My plan is to put the periodic table of beer on the chalkboard with a empty line in each beer style to be filled in when I brew and name a batch of that style that I like... I have 7 out of the 60 something already, but that leaves a lot of work :)

periodic table of beer.jpg

Haha I'm reading this from a Murphy bed right now. I put one in my basement room for when it is too hot to sleep on the second floor.

Here are the finished shots of the bed!!! (well almost, still gotta do a couple of minor behind the scenes stuff)

bed6.jpg

bed7.jpg

bed8.jpg

benbradford said:
Here are the finished shots of the bed!!! (well almost, still gotta do a couple of minor behind the scenes stuff)

You using hydraulic assistance?

I am trying to come up with ideas about what to do with the space other than the brewstand... I have a fermenter that is a walk in fridge that lives outside, so no need for a lot of fermentation space... I suppose that an ale fermenter or two would be nice :) because the walk in is gonna live around 45 or so... I need some space for slanting yeast(freezer) and freezer space for hops.. I also will need space for live yeast cultures,(mason jars in fridge), stir plate, sink, work table, grain storage.....

What am i forgetting, and I will try to sketch it into the model:)

put the hinges on the side of the bed, turn the bed onto said side, and use the bed back as a projection screen, get a recliner and done! lol
do you have a kegerator? lagering fridge?

I already have a 47 inch tv and three tap kegerator... Gonna change to a 5 tap keezer soon... The walk in will be my lagering fridge...

This is (pardon the vulgarities) major f'n cool.

Ffffff'nnnn cooool. Nice use of available space! ;)

Here is an update on what I did today with the brewery!!!

I have the brew stand started, but it needs a coat of stain...

The tank you see is one of my four brew vessels... I need to polyurethane the wood and drill it and install elements and ball valve with dip tube. I have three other tanks that I need to wrap with wood and plumb... When finished, it will be a four vessel, three pump, herms system run on four 120v 3500 watt elements :)

stand1.jpg

stand2.jpg

stand3.jpg

I have a 30 day house guest, so work has slowed down and is moved out of the guest bedroom for now... Here is the temporary home for the brew stand and tanks...

three of them are finished, stained, and plumbed... I did the stand also, and am finished with the exception of adding a few valves and male quick disconnects to the system. I may be adding a bleeder valve at the bottom of the stand to get the pumps to prime better also... The fourth vessel idea is probably shelved for the near future :)

brewstand2.jpg

House guest left early so I am back in!!! This is just an update of the brew stand in the brewery for the first time, with 2 fermenting chambers(1 is my old kegerator that will soon be replaced with a 5 tap keezer... keezer won't be in the brewery, old kegerator will minus the three tap tower. I will put a controller on it and use it to ferment). The second is my even older kegerator that used to have the tower on it too, but got turned into a fermenter when I got newer kegerator. I don't mind using the danby for a fermenter, because I got it not running and replaced the refrigeration with an old dorm fridge guts. I will sell the tower, and use the co2 system on the keezer. The rest of the stuff in the picture is just my brewing bits and peices that will eventually get nice homes with new furniture of some kind (craigslist)... Just trying to get an idea of the space and what I need to do next.

Coming soon... Grain mill, water lines and drain, keg washer, 240 electric changover with new control panel (pid), keezer build, book cases and desk and cabinets...

Brewery1.jpg

brewery2.jpg

brewery3.jpg

I am focusing more on running the 240 to the room with the spa panel and control panel... Sink may not happen as I cannot think of where to put it in the room and still have room for the bed to fold down. Maybe just a basic drain of some kind. I am definately going to have to drain the water when chilling and when washing the keggles. I was planning on tapping into the drains under the house anyway, so probably a basic setup like a laundry drain...

Floor protection? Been brewing on hardwoods for a long time, and a towel does the trick. okay fine, some kind of vinly cargo mat or something may happen.

Exhaust fan a must!

Here is an update on the brewery... Been learning a lot about electrical and have decided to keep it simple for now with the 240 elements only for the immediate future, but work towards a bcs 460.

I built bookshelves for a library feel and to clear up some clutter. I also installed the sink! Brewstand is on wheels, too...

room.jpg

room3.jpg

room4.jpg

room2.jpg

room5.jpg

Finally got the brewery ready! Here are pics of the new work desk, electrical and sink, and brewstand.

To be completed:
Repair walk in cooler...
Install float check valves on all tanks...
Add fourth tank...
Get moving forward with slanting yeasts...
Get more quick disconnects for more versatility...
Install third pump...
Build keezer!

brewday1.jpg

brewday2.jpg

brewday3.jpg

Can you explain how you did the wood claddiing on your vessels? Dimensions, what you're using to hold it all together etc. Very cool build man !!!

Look up another thread I started called "who needs a blichman when you can build a Bradford"

well, a year and a bit later, and the spare bedroom is pretty much been taken over by the brewery... I will be adding a fourth tank that is a second mash tun so that I can do double batches of two different styles at once.

brewery7.jpg

brewery6.jpg

brewery5.jpg

brewery4.jpg

i am now searching craigslist for cheap ping pong tables to cut up. love the build man!!!

Ya, the bed is pretty much defunct at this point. I did have a friend stay for about a month and with maybe a half hour or so, I can remove the brew stand, sink, etc. and drop the bed down. Not quite a big enough room to really serve 2 functions like I originally intended. Serves the purpose of me dialing in my brewing until I eventually get a shed or basement space that I will use instead.

I suppose to complete the picture of home brewery I should show the fermentation chamber, beer cellar, and keezer:)

walkin.jpg

cellar2.jpg

cellar3.jpg

keezer.jpg

Good lord. That is all so beautiful.

I am going to ask the least interesting question yet, how the heck to you get kegs into the keezer? The marble comes off I guess? Everything makes sense beyond that. The envy I feel right now is just not right. High five.

The marble does come off... Planning on some hydraulics in the future:) thanks for the kind words too!

Finished the fourth tank... Now my brew day is going to be efficient use of time as I can brew 2 15 gallon batches at the same time!

a4.jpg

latest update on brewery... best brew day yet as far as comfort in the brewery. Really felt like the space was well used and functional.

I brewed a tank 7 Belgian Ale Clone and a Kolsch. The wife brewed a Belgian tripel on her kitchen setup:)

brewery8.jpg

brewery9.jpg

Back