Yay! for whirlfloc!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soldevi

Reaction score
I did it! After 3 batches of cloudy beer, I finally tried whirlfloc. Wow!

P1221073.jpg

P1221066.jpg

This is my second try at Edworts Pale Ale. Its gonna be really hard to leave this one alone. haha

Impressive...looks way more clear than mine and I Use whirlfloc, primary for a month, and cold crash.... Is that a secondary vessel?

From the Net...

Whirlfloc is a purifed form of high molecular weight carrageenan extracted from red marine algae (Rhodophycae) and manufactured exclusively for use as a wort fining agent. It accelerates the formation of dense and compact hot and cold trub, saving time, boosting wort recovery and resulting in considerably brighter worts.

Yes its a secondary. This was 1 week primary 2 weeks secondary.

I tried to make sure I cooled this off as fast as possible. I don't have a wort chiller yet, so I used an ice bath and a couple sanitized frozen bottles of water. It was by far the best cold break I've had.

Oh and I dumped everything in the primary break and all.

This was my first attempt. Its a bad picture but you get the idea.
2-522A2632-1555396-800.jpg

Yeah, I get crystal clear carboys with it too, but I still get chill haze. a month in the fridge seems to take care of that though, so don't fret if it clouds up when cold.

Back