Lid blew off and is this a good blow off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggerthanyou83

Reaction score
Ok well i posted earlier that my lid blew off because my airlock got clogged up. I cleaned the lid with alcohol that I had at home and made a blow off with the hose from my syphon. I just want to ask if the blow off will work and was it ok that I rinsed the lid with alcohol…. All I had was jack but I made sure I got most of it off the lid before I put it back on. i add a picture of the blow off.... i think the bucket blew before i got home since it was still wet and there was a lot of krause/foam still filled to the top. let me know what you guys think.

blow off.jpg

Bubbles in the jug right? Looks fine.

I would clean the outside of the bucket and spray it with some sani.

the jug was filled half way with fresh spring water and yes now there are bubbled going through the tube into the jug.

ohhh and on one of the post they said to but some no rinse sanitizer in the jug.... i found a little bit of my no rinse sanitized. enough for half a gallon. i added that to my jug. its the kind that sanitizes with oxygen not iodine.

I have wondered if just the hosing through the grommet on a bucket was alright as well. I think some people will attach their siphon hose on top of the 3 piece airlock. I don't know if you have the same one I have, but I think you can take the cover piece off of it and rig it to that as well. don't know if it would be any better than what you have already though

yeah i have 2 different types of airlocks. i didnt even think of that. but the house i put into the buckets is in there really tight. i had a hard time putting it in. now how would i clean out the house if i need to sue it to syphon a beer later. or should i just buy a new hose.

Sorry i forgot to but that i did do that. so as of right now it should be ok?

Should be good. I had a lid blow completely off and it was open for 12 hours. I took off some krausen and resealed. The beer was fine. Also had a few lids lose their seal like yours and the always turned out fine :)

Back