3 Gallon store bought water container as ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XpeedeeX

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing beer in 3 gallon batches now but I didn't want to buy another $20 carboy. I saw 3 gallon water containers (similar to the ones that you put in a water dispenser in your home) at the store for cheap. Will this work as a fermenter or do I need a specific type of plastic?

Here comes the oxygen permeability debate :D

Whatever you decide, don't put anything hotter than room temperature in one of those jugs. My understanding is that they aren't designed to hold anything other warmer than room temp and will leech if heated up at all.

I purchased several food safe #2 white 5 gallon buckets from Walmart's paint department for about $3-4 including lids. Add a 50 cent rubber grommet for your hardware store and you have a cheap fermentor for 3-4 gallon size batchs. I have made over a dozen brews with this size bucket and never hard a problem with any batch.

MalFet is right: the two biggest downsides to using a regular water-jug are oxygen permeability and leaching.

For my money, a beer that ferments quickly, like an IPA or a Pale Ale, will be fine for two weeks in an oxygen-leaky container, as long as you're careful to make sure your temperatures don't go above 75F or so. I don't think anyone here would recommend using a Deer Park water jug to lager for months on end, or to age a belgian.

MalFet is right: the two biggest downsides to using a regular water-jug are oxygen permeability and leaching.

You mean the myth of oxygen permeability created by the glass carboy industry??? The true numbers are pretty negligable, when you look at it.

As long as the recylce are code is a <1> or <2> you are fine.

I have a bunch of three gallon water jugs that I use. I've had no issues.

fermentation_closet.jpg

FYI, many of the new Bisophenal-A free waterbottles are actually made by the Better Bottle Company. Some advertise the fact as part of their marketing, and interestingly enough some of the water/betterbottles have accidently ended up in homebrew shops. They are labeled "for water only" and "not for reuse" BUT when the hbt member who got one of these contacted them, they were told that they HAVE to stamp them as such, BUT they are perfectly fine and exactly the same as their regular better bottles.

Think about it, if it's good enough to drink water from, why the hell wouldn't it be for beer.

They've been in use a beer bottles for over a decade, you think maybe the macros wouldn't want to risk their reputations on oxydized bbeer would you?

They've only been around since 1999

http://www.allbusiness.com/plastics-rubber/plastics-product-manufacturing/284606-1.html

http://www.allbusiness.com/services/amusement-recreation-services/4563510-1.html

And been really popular since the whole BPA-reacalls. I wrote this awhile ago...I've been following this for years...

modern plastics have come along way, especially in the last couple years after the Bispahenol A recalls. More and more of the new bottles coming out are made of the same stuff as the better bottles. In fact the company that made better bottles started making bottles for the water cooler industry. Some water companies even advertise they are using better bottles for their products. And some of the water better bottles have ended up at homebrew shops mis labled, there was even a thread on that here a couple years ago, iirc the OP called the BB company and they said they got mixed up in the warehouse, but they are the same bottles, just that the water bottles are stamped "not for re-use" and some other legal mumbo jumbo, but they are the same bottles.

There's just too many variables in plastic water bottles these days, since so many companies changed their plastics a couple years ago so we wouldn't grow man-boobs due to BPA, to be able to make a blanket statement like "they're oxygen permeable" anymore.

That might have been the truth 5 years ago, but there's been some leaps in the industry the last few years. Heck even the BMC brewers started putting their beers in plastic bottles for ballparks and stuff not to long ago, and THEY did that becasue of the leaps in plastic bottle technologies. I posted an article about that on here a couple of years ago, when I think miller started bottling with them.

It all depends on the bottles, but it's no longer as cut and dried as many people think.

plasticebottle.jpg

B%C3%BCrger.JPG

Plastic%20Bottle.jpg

collectible-24098.jpg

0429cfmiller1.gif

Not to mention the ubiquitous pet Mr Beer Bottles that have been around for awhile as well......Oh and wineries in Australia are putting their products in them as well.

*shrug*

pericles said:

For the record, I didn't say oxygen permeability is a problem, I said here comes the oxygen permeability debate. And here came the oxygen permeability debate :D

I've never had any problems long term aging in plastic and the theory seems suggestive to me that it wouldn't be a problem, but I've certainly not done any scientific-like tests on the matter, so I remain officially agnostic.

For the record, I didn't say oxygen permeability is a problem, I said here comes the oxygen permeability debate. And here came the oxygen permeability debate :D

I've never had any problems long term aging in plastic and the theory seems suggestive to me that it wouldn't be a problem, but I've certainly not done any scientific-like tests on the matter, so I remain officially agnostic.

I knew where you were going with it. I was hoping it would have stayed with you....;)
I was hoping it wouldn't have had to come up.....It's such an old chestnut. People have been repeateing it verbatum since the first plastic buckets hit the wine/beer making population.....but now in the last 4-5 years especially, where people have become more aware of things like BPH, they are looking at manufacturing better plastic. The benefit of it was the bottles we know as "Better Bottles" and the thing is, now that they've penetrating the water bottle market, AND that so many older bottles have been pulled out of the market, you are more than likely going to be finding a bottle made by the "Better Bottle" company or one very very very similar in composition in the waterbottle marketplace.

It no longer is as cut and dried as the "you can't use these because of x,y,and z" crowed thinks anymore.
:mug:

I occasionally buy water from sams club. it is a 4 gallon bottle that is #1 PET. I think they are less than $5. They are thin but good for a couple of uses without worries.

Well i looked an i think the bottles had a 7 on it. And i guess i should have put this in originally but I wanted one as a secondary fermenter so I would have very little head space once i racked it into the bottle. I have a 5 gallon better bottle carboy and wanted to know would that work as a secondary or would the excess head space cause a problem with oxidation of the beer?

Well i looked an i think the bottles had a 7 on it. And i guess i should have put this in originally but I wanted one as a secondary fermenter so I would have very little head space once i racked it into the bottle. I have a 5 gallon better bottle carboy and wanted to know would that work as a secondary or would the excess head space cause a problem with oxidation of the beer?

My suggestion would be to read the threads about using a secondary at all. If I were you, I'd just leave the beer in the primary and skip the secondary all together. Many of us have found that there is no advantage to using a secondary.

Supposing you would like to bulk condition your beer in a plastic food grade bucket with lid from the local HB store, could you not glue a layer of Mylar Space Blanket around bucket, lid, and bottom of bucket... that way even though the plastic container is not strictly oxygen impermeable, the oxygen will never touch the outsides of the container because of the space blanket. If space blankets can work as a barrier against hydrogen and helium, then by all rights it should stop oxygen too no? Or is the oxygen permeability of these buckets negligible anyway for long term beer conditioning? Just a thought....

Dom

Latest posts

Back