Fastest Bottle Carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
This is just kind of a random thought I had after reading some way older posts: What is the fastest bottle carbonation you've experienced, and to what would you attribute it? I know I've had a couple of batches that were fully carbed after only one week. I've also had one that took over a month to carb too.

Two main factors:

Yeast vigor at the time of bottling
Temperature it was held at

I find that in general if I hold the bottles around 70 °F for 1 week, I can safely put them into my cellar. 1 week and they are usually close to fully carbed on most recipes. The longest I had was with my Winter Warmer ale that I let in the secondary for a few months. I think the yeast was just really spent. Plus I carbed it in the basement. Took forever, but the beer is excellent.

zoebisch01 said:
The longest I had was with my Winter Warmer ale that I let in the secondary for a few months. I think the yeast was just really spent. Plus I carbed it in the basement. Took forever, but the beer is excellent.

The good thing about that is that it forces you to condition the beer. Always makes better tasting beer!

I never taste before a week, so not sure, but I've had some fully carbed at a week. I think zoe hit the factors on the head. The livelihood/condition of your surviving yeast and the temp are the most critical factors.

Even if carbed at one week, mine always taste better after 1-3 months, so I'm in no hurry. :)

bottled my leftovers ale sunday and tried one tonight(4 days in bottle) and it was well carbonated and actually formed a head.
do i forsee bottle bombs in my future?

My last took two weeks to have any decent carbonation, but I've had a couple carbed after a week. The first hefe I opened after 6 days popped the cap to the cieling, kinda scared me to see what would become of the rest of the batch, but they came out great.

I could not wait any longer and got into a hefewiezen after six days "just to see". Great carbonation and actually kept the a creamy head until halfway done drinking. Not that I am impatient, but I usually get into my brew right at seven days, and keep a log. This way I can see how the beer ages. Some are ready after a week and some like my 9% holiday spice ale definitly need to go a few more months.

Back