What does Additional Fermentation mean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timobkg

Reaction score
I tried a search, but couldn't find an explanation for this term. Say a recipe goes as follows:

Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 68°F
Additional Fermentation: Recommended 2+ months to age
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 @ 68°F

Does the Additional Fermentation mean that I should keep it in the first fermentation bucket for 2.5 months?

It appears to me that they are telling you that the minimum ferm time is 14 days in primary but they reccomend 2 more months before transferring to secondary. Some on here use a secondary, some dont, they just do really long primaries. I do long primaries. I do use secondaries for competitions or the beers i brew as gifts. I helps to clarify.

Not sure if i'm right on your original question but i hope it helps.

For us to help you...

Post the recipe.

Have you brewed it yet?

Where did you get the recipe (book, LHBS)?

Thanks.

Eric

i think actually they mean ferment at 68 for 2 weeks, transfer to secondary, leave for at least 2 weeks and age up to 2+ months in the secondary or in the bottle (unless you're brewing a wild beer). i know some probably have, but i wouldn't want to leave a beer in primary for 2+ months. 2-3 weeks should be plenty of time.

i think actually they mean ferment at 68 for 2 weeks, transfer to secondary, leave for at least 2 weeks and age up to 2+ months in the secondary or in the bottle (unless you're brewing a wild beer). i know some probably have, but i wouldn't want to leave a beer in primary for 2+ months. 2-3 weeks should be plenty of time.

What he said. It is a big beer, so aging in the package (bottle or keg) will be beneficial.

But if this is sirsloop's recipe, why not post on that thread or send him a PM and get it straight from the horse's mouth?

Eric

Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 68°F
Additional Fermentation: Recommended 2+ months to age
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 @ 68°F

My take on sloop's recipe is 14 days in primary, 14 days in Secondary and then 2 months in the bottle to condition. Which of course you could skip the secondary, primary it for a month and then bottle and condition for 2 or more months. It makes sense since, at 1.070, it's a bigger beer. It would more than likely take a couple months to mellow out.

My take on sloop's recipe is 14 days in primary, 14 days in Secondary and then 2 months in the bottle to condition. Which of course you could skip the secondary, primary it for a month and then bottle and condition for 2 or more months. It makes sense since, at 1.070, it's a bigger beer. It would more than likely take a couple months to mellow out.
Ah, thanks. That makes sense.

i know some probably have, but i wouldn't want to leave a beer in primary for 2+ months. 2-3 weeks should be plenty of time.
Heh, this is what had me concerned.

I saw Additional Fermentation everywhere, so assumed it might be a standard term, and since it came between primary and secondary, it really threw me off.

Thanks, all, for the prompt responses. :)

Back