Is this what 6lbs of coconut gets you or.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maui808

Reaction score
...or could it be infection? I sampled after a week and it is at 73% attenuation. Tastes like the first two beers I brewed did at this point...except a lot more coconutty! But what the heck is up with this krausen?

I added 6lbs of coconut to this porter in the last 15 mins of the boil. Looked on the package and that equals a total of 360 grams of fat in that coconut. Hoping this is what's up w/ the krausen???

3618991082_1fbce2cd53_b_d.jpg

Sounds like the problem people have when they add peanut butter to their wort. Even when you drain it as best you can beforehand, you have to get a lot of oil out of there.

Doesn't look like any of the infected pictures I've seen either, but I won't claim to be an expert. Usually with those you get fuzzy mold, streaky white bubbles, bad smells, etc.

Oh really, well that's great to hear. Peanut butter and coconut both sure do have a lot of oil.

Keep an eye on it when you rack it. If you can let it sit before racking and carefully move the beer without disturbing the oil layer on top, you should be good. You don't want that oil in the bottle/keg as it'll kill the head.

I did a Rasberry Red Ale and with all the rasberries floating on top it looked just as bad, if not worse than that.

It looked like bleached white brain matter floating on top. All the color was gone and it looked nasty.

I covered it and never looked again till we put it in the secondary.

I think you'll be fine.. just rack it to a secondary for a week to clear out all the stuff floating around.

Thanks for the input. I racked to secondary today, I was careful regarding the oil layer. What was left over was very slick feeling, clearly oil and a lot of it too. Took a little more work to clean the primary bucket of the oil.

Tasting it today it lost some of the coconut flavor and scent. Amazing considering I added 6lbs of the stuff. Looks like I will have to add some flaked coconut to the secondary.

I added more coconut to secondary for a grand total of 8lbs of coconut for this beer.... and after 2 weeks in the bottle I can't taste any coconut!!!
Could be because I added too much chocolate (8 oz cocoa nibs). 4oz would have probably been fine, it's a tad too strong. If the chocolate flavor wasn't there maybe coconut would be noticeable.

Guess that's how you learn!

I added more coconut to secondary for a grand total of 8lbs of coconut for this beer.... and after 2 weeks in the bottle I can't taste any coconut!!!
Could be because I added too much chocolate (8 oz cocoa nibs). 4oz would have probably been fine, it's a tad too strong. If the chocolate flavor wasn't there maybe coconut would be noticeable.

Guess that's how you learn!

Sounds like you are going for a "Mounds" beer with the chocolate and the coconut.

I didn't want to go full on mounds bar, I was going for a toasted coconut porter w/ a hint of chocolate, but screwed it up in so many ways. It should have been a robust porter not baltic (baltic has no roast, and it needs tasty/roasty) and 8oz was way too much chocolate, and apparently 8lbs was not enough coconut! It's a mounds bar w/ out the coconut! HA!

Back