Stanley Cup Playoffs 2009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which is why Detroit can get someone like Hossa to come in for less money. Ken Holland has done a great job putting this team together - past, present and future. Guys like Ericsson, Helm and DarthKbader wouldn't be up if it weren't for injuries, but they've shown that they can play with the big boys. Holland doesn't believe in pushing the youngsters too fast unless it's absolutely necessary. Let them tear it up in Grand Rapids and when they get to Detroit they can step right in.

i believe the term holland uses is an 'overripe' appraoch to your drafted talent. hell it took filpula like 3yrs to crack the lineup.

WTF? When did this become the "insults and smack talk" thread?

Knock it off. I want to talk about hockey, not have back and forth insults.

I knew the game last night would be fast paced, and it was. What's up with Datsyuk anyway? He hasn't played in a long time, and all I hear is "sore foot" as an explanation. I know Babcock is tight lipped about injuries, but this must be pretty serious to keep Pavel out of the Stanley Cup finals.

I know I'm way late to the party. Haven't been on in about a week. But to answer your question about Datsyuk, a little birdie who is connected to the organization says fractured foot. Not sure if it's series-ending, but to me, I'm not all that concerned. Datsyuk has been less than stellar and I've been anything but impressed with his play the past few series. And sure it'd be easy to point out his lack of points, but his offense seems frantic - not smooth and controlled as is his norm. I say, right now, we're better off without him.

And to hop on the Datsyuk/Crosby offense debate (I told you I was late to the party)... I'm a huge Wings fan. They have the better team. But really??? This is even a debate? With the puck, Crosby can single-handedly control a shift from start to finish. Datsyuk at one point was an offensive power, and still is a big threat. But he's never had the total control, flair, and ability to find the back of the net that Crosby has. Now, if you're gonna throw the complete game into the picture, Datsyuk WILL win the debate - but only by default as I have more defensive ability than Crosby.

Why then does he win all these trophies and is being called the best player since [insert favorite hall of famer here]? Because while defense will win the cup, offense sells tickets. And in the cash-strapped NHL, they need every ticket and TV viewer they can get so they need to promote offense. They can't afford not to - even when it ignores one of the most important factors in the game.

"They" say Datsyuk looked really good at practice yesterday. He was able to make all the cuts, so hopefully he will play tonite. I'm hoping it isn't a fractured foot, but even a deep bruise makes skating painful. He was at the restaurant where my daughter works last week and she said he was walking pretty well.

Datsyuk_OB.jpg

yeah, I got the impression it was more "hairline" fracture as opposed to broken all the way through. Give it a week or so to begin to heal, tape the hell out of it and soften the blow with cortozone... He should be ready to go.

Jesus Christ, it's painfully obvious the refs want Pittsturd to win. To blow a call at center ice is unforgivable. That offside on the first goal was awful too.

And Pittsturd don't even say it's fair, it was in front of God and everybody.

That being said, the level of play has been off the charts!!!!!!, on both sides.

Walked down to the local watering hole and the tv was occupied by a bunch of basketball fans... #!@@#$%@#$!!!!!!

D@mn Seattle, I'm sure all u guys in Michigan don't have this problem.

Looks like a good game too, following the updates on NHL.com...

I sure as heck don't know what is going on :confused:, but that sounds good for Pittsburgh fans..........

I try not to be a homer, but there were 4 or at least 3 obvious calls missed. Unacceptable for a finals. They are to evenly matched for this bullshi t.

Hey Arturo7, I call you out! You hate Detroit, but tell me that 1st period was officiated properly. Did you not see Lidstrom dragged down in his own end on the pp? Was not (?) forgot the player:drunk: tripped at center ice? Were they (pitts)offside on the first goal?

Come on, take off your hater goggles.

Walked down to the local watering hole and the tv was occupied by a bunch of basketball fans... #!@@#$%@#$!!!!!!

D@mn Seattle, I'm sure all u guys in Michigan don't have this problem.

Looks like a good game too, following the updates on NHL.com...

Even though I hate you ;) I would have you over to watch the game and drink homebrew, if you were in Tenn.

Even though I'm rooting for Pittsburgh I would prefer an honest win.
Dang, It went from 1-2 to 4-2 real quick, Did they get some weak one's on Ozzie or what?

Haha, thanks wildwest I would probably take you up on that one. We could just sit there and yell at each other while drinking some Tennesseean homebrew

dubl dub, buddy...

There were several missed and/or non calls going both ways. You seem only to notice those that are mentioned by the announcers?

Who's wearing the goggles?

I don't think any of those were weak goals. Pittsburgh did a great job tonite clogging up the passing lanes and they were pouncing on every rebound in front of Fleury. Lots of "missed" calls on both sides. I don't have a problem with that, if they consistently miss calls. Crosby should get an oscar after that swan dive when Maltby "slashed" him:p

I don't think any of those were weak goals.
That's good to hear, I had to listen to the game so I didn't see them. Osgood is a fine goaltender who has been around a long time, and as much as I want to see Pitts win I don't want Osgood to be the reason.

The 4th Pens goal was absolutely beautiful! Excellent quick passing!

The Pens have played well at home, I hope they can keep the pressure and hits up in Detroit.

I also noticed it almost looks like Detroit is getting a little sluggish with all the pressure and hits the Pens are applying.

Detroit stunk up the joint , their D left Osgood out to dry . Pens kicked their asses tonight . Kronwall was a downright liability . Offense was severely lacking , who will step up ?

Pittsburgh play really good. I thought in the second that the wings might have it.

Game 5 should be real good.

Combination of Pittsburgh coming out to play, and Detroit hanging Ozzie out to dry. It's a 3 game series!! Nothing like a good finals series to keep you entertained.

Too bad I was not allowed to drink beer last night or I would have drank the Wings to victory!

Anyone notice if Yooper has changed her avatar back to Red Wings?

Yup, they possibly blew their entire season in a 6 minute stretch. Kronwall was embarrassing, and Hossa should stay in Pittsburg. I hope Datsyuk comes back for game 5, we all know the winner of that game wins the cup.

I don't think any of those were weak goals. Pittsburgh did a great job tonite clogging up the passing lanes and they were pouncing on every rebound in front of Fleury. Lots of "missed" calls on both sides. I don't have a problem with that, if they consistently miss calls. Crosby should get an oscar after that swan dive when Maltby "slashed" him:p

i'm pretty sure when he "slashed" him he got him right in the back of the knee, it really didn't look too harmful but i'm sure it probably hurt him for a few minutes. there were definately missed calls on both ends i thought it was called fairly. that first goal was really damn close too being offsides but i think it was too close to call for the refs. and detroits power play is really sucking hardcore. and i don't think datysuk is really gonna make that big of an impression if he comes back. i mean itll give them a boost in morale, but i'm sure he'll see limited ice time, and the pens will probably use his injury to their advantage. they are playing too fast and too aggressive for someone probably not skating 100 percent. and i don't understand why but it seems like they are trying to make sure crosby doesn't get any open ice with the puck but malkin seems like he is seeing plenty of it. im predicting upset in detroit, pens win 4-1.

lets go pens

i'm pretty sure when he "slashed" him he got him right in the back of the knee, it really didn't look too harmful but i'm sure it probably hurt him for a few minutes. there were definately missed calls on both ends i thought it was called fairly. that first goal was really damn close too being offsides but i think it was too close to call for the refs. and detroits power play is really sucking hardcore. and i don't think datysuk is really gonna make that big of an impression if he comes back. i mean itll give them a boost in morale, but i'm sure he'll see limited ice time, and the pens will probably use his injury to their advantage. they are playing too fast and too aggressive for someone probably not skating 100 percent. and i don't understand why but it seems like they are trying to make sure crosby doesn't get any open ice with the puck but malkin seems like he is seeing plenty of it. im predicting upset in detroit, pens win 4-1.

lets go pens

OK, so as to not get broiled before I begin... Nice game Pens. Well executed, great offense, good hits, good screens. Nice game.

Now as to Datsyuk... I think you may be right that he may only give the Wings a morale boost - but this series is being played so well, a morale boost is all the Wings need. But as I've stated before, I think you're right. Datsyuk isn't the answer.

The slashing... Come on. I'm sure by now you've seen the Youtube video that showed the play in slow motion. Not only did Crosby break his own stick, he never got touched at all. From the ref angle, the call I guess could be understandable. But it doesn't change the fact it WAS a bad call.

The offsides... Close, but also a missed call.

I'm not here to say that the refs have been good on either side of the ice. They haven't. But, it's just a bit hard to swallow that NO missed/bad calls against the Pens have been in situations where Detroit could capitalize. Missed calls have led DIRECTLY to 3 odd man rushes for the Pens - all resulting in goals in this series.

OPEN YOUR EYES REFS so we can debate the quality of games and not quibble about penalties!

and i don't think datysuk is really gonna make that big of an impression if he comes back

Um, he did score 97 points this season, he wouldn't be skating if they didn't think he isn't going to be effective. Even at 80% his puck handling and passing skills will be a huge help. And they aren't going to lose 4-1 at home.

and...

If you make any comments on the zebras or their calls you get a big fat fine. Just ask Quenneville.

Betman really needs to get his head out of his ass.

This is pa-f'in-thetic!!!! The pens are playing pattycake when they need to be doing what they did the last 2 games... knock some wings out.

This is pa-f'in-thetic!!!! The pens are playing pattycake when they need to be doing what they did the last 2 games... knock some wings out.

The Pens are trying that and taking some stupid penalties. Detroit has the jump tonight and Pittsburgh's only response is elbow, slash, trip.

GO WINGS!!!!!!

The Pens are trying that and taking some stupid penalties. Detroit has the jump tonight and Pittsburgh's only response is elbow, slash, trip.

GO WINGS!!!!!!

There's a difference. Last 2 games the pens were making nice legal hits in open ice. This game they're being stupid while attempting to get back in it. The last 2 games it looked like they were trying to make the age of the wings show. Now... well they have on a golden glove.

Back