looking at a camper tommorrow.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends what you want in it. Do you just want to get off the ground when you sleep, or do you want more? Chances are that for $500 the furnace might not work, nor will the fridge. That is, if it is so equipped. My first camper none of that worked either, but I didn't care. I would take a good look at the canvas. See if it is still soft and pliable, check for rips, and see if it looks as if the mice have been munching on it. Ask if the camper has ever been re-canvassed. Ask if the thing has ever leaked.

Check out the windows and screens. You don't want mosquitos getting in there when you are trying to sleep.

What kind of lifting mechanism does it have, and is it in good shape? I had to buy a rebuild kit for my camper right after I bought it because the springs kept buckling.

How's the wiring? By this I mean both the trailering wiring, and the inside wiring. Do the overhead lights work? Do you plan on using it on campsites with electric service? If so, how's the extension cord, and the DC converter, if it has one?

Does it have an awning? If so, make sure it is set up so you can see it.

All good points by Bernie. Basically you have to realize that the equipment in most popups and travel trailers are crap. Even if they weren't, with time you really cant expect them to have lasted . So you'll have to figure in what you will be using it for. Is this just a mobile tent, or you really want all the amenities.

Replacement parts are expensive, but alot of the work can be done by you. You can also forgo the oem appliances and put in your own, for example the micro, and fridge. Most RV type fridges are 2way. They run on propane or electricity. If you plan to boon dock, where no power is around, you will need a propane fridge, other wise you can replace with an electric after market. The ac is another amenity you may or may not want. Sincd you live up north, you should inquire about the furnace. It runs on propane, but requires 110 , (i think ) for the fan motor.

For me, something that old, I'd just make sure the outide is not all banged up and that it opens and closes (raises/lowers) fine. And no leaks in the top and side.

One more thing, some popups donot have a shower/toilet. If it does check it for leaks etc.

Good luck. If its in fairly good shape you will have lots of fun, and you will recover the 500 fairly quickly.

Thanks for the tips guys.
We are really just expecting to stay dry and off the ground. I wouldn't mind tent camping if it wasn't for the sun beating on you at 5 in the morning roasting you inside. We don't expect a whole lot for $500. The add says all the electric is good inside and out and there are no leaks he can see and no evidence of leaks anywhere. The guy bought it last fall thinking he would use it but did not.
I'm hoping we're just finding a decent buy in bad economical times and not just a load of crap.
We figure this is a great way to get into our first camper and if we end up not using it often we are not out thousands of dollars.

I'll post back tonight after looking at it or tomorrow morning from work.

Like to hear more on this topic! My wife and I would love to have something easily tow able. I don't know much about pop-ups but guessing they are the most economic way to go? How many can most pop ups sleep and can you get toilet / showers in them?

Oh and irregular, post pictures up once you get it especially if you plan on renovating.

The only reason I got out of the tent and into the pop-up was because it was a real PITA when the kids were little to pack all the baby stuff. With the pop-up we could keep a lot of the stuff in there, thus making it less of a pain. The only reason I upgraded to a new one was because my old Steury pop-up was heavy. It was the only double-axle pop-up I've ever seen.

Aleforge, you can get pop-ups with showers/toilets, but they are the higher-end ones, and are hard to find used. I just get up and make the walk to the pits, but I have friends that use the little porta-pots. And most pop-ups will sleep 6 comfortably, 8 uncomfortably.

Timing is funny. Sorry to hijack, but the wife and I just got the score of a decade last week. A coworker of hers offered her a popup for just the cost of title transfer. Being the cynic that I am, I am assuming this thing is gonna be rotting away where it sat. Turns out, it was a 2004 Coleman popup (I forget the model name). It has the 2 queen sized beds and the layout dining area. AC, heat, toilet, shower, sink stove, fridge all in perfect working order. It was used a total of 4 times in the total life of ownership by the coworker.

It turns out, her husband has some heart condition, and they will not be doing anymore camping. She really likes my wife, and wanted to give it to her. I offered money not feeling good about just taking it, but they would not accept.

We are big fans of camping, and have been tent camping up until the baby was born. We did the tent gig with her once, then decided to just do cabins fron then on, but we could not bring the dog. Now we get everything we could ask for!

I am getting the SUV fit with the brake controller tomorrow, and should have the camper home by tomorrow night. The title work and registration is all done. I am so siked to get it home. There is a little work to be done, as it sat for 2-3 years, but it is almost turn key.

Again, sorry for going OT, but I found a popup thread and got excited.

We planned on a popup a few years ago and ended up swinging for a 28' bunkhouse travel trailer. Nice not having to move everything around to drop the sides and move. I'd check with banks/credit unions in your area. Chances are they have some repos in house. The CU my wife worked at just took 50% of the bluebook value for a 2008 5th wheel.

For a used pop up, inspect the fabric around the bed slides and look for pinches, tears and dry rot folds. The fabric is fairly easy to patch and any awning shop can do it. Also check how easy the slides go in and out. If you have to horse the stuff around and get rough you'll eventually end up tearing the fabric.

Good luck!

28DD.jpg

Sincd you live up north, you should inquire about the furnace. It runs on propane, but requires 110 , (i think ) for the fan motor.

The fan should run on 12V and use the 110V - 12V converter when hooked to shore power. Other than a microwave the rest of the electrical should be 12V. Add two 6v golf cart batteries in series and you have a good power source for boondocking.

Timing is funny. Sorry to hijack, but the wife and I just got the score of a decade last week.
Again, sorry for going OT, but I found a popup thread and got excited.
No worries. Nice find!

I'd check with banks/credit unions in your area. Chances are they have some repos in house. The CU my wife worked at just took 50% of the bluebook value for a 2008 5th wheel.

For a used pop up, inspect the fabric around the bed slides and look for pinches, tears and dry rot folds. The fabric is fairly easy to patch and any awning shop can do it. Also check how easy the slides go in and out. If you have to horse the stuff around and get rough you'll eventually end up tearing the fabric.

Good luck!

28DD.jpg
We're really not looking to spend a ton, but if we can get this at this price we will go for it. We're not wanting to take on a monthly payment for anything. Plus a small popup is most likely all our Rendezvous can handle. I'll post pics tomorrow. Hopefully of a camper in great shape with money down holding for me. We are driving up to look at it tonight and well just put money down to hold it if we want it. We'll then have to get a hitch and receiver installed this week.

I don't mean to Hijack either, but have you thought about a tow able hard body?

I was thinking about this one for my family, or something like it since I have a small SUV. I know you can't beat 500, but I have seen ones like this go fairly cheap used.

Coachmen RV - Travel Trailers - M-Series

M-Series---interior-back-to.jpg

The fan should run on 12V and use the 110V - 12V converter when hooked to shore power. Other than a microwave the rest of the electrical should be 12V. Add two 6v golf cart batteries in series and you have a good power source for boondocking.

Nah, just get a 12v marine deep cycle battery. Note I say a deep cycle battery, not one that's used for motor starting. You can get them at Fleet Farm, or your local equivelant.

And guys, those travel trailers are sinful! Yikes! I feel guilty in my popup!

Nah, just get a 12v marine deep cycle battery. Note I say a deep cycle battery, not one that's used for motor starting. You can get them at Fleet Farm, or your local equivelant.

And guys, those travel trailers are sinful! Yikes! I feel guilty in my popup!

Golf cart batteries are deep cycle and usually around 200 - 225 AH. Two are more than adequate for us to go out for a week boondocking with a trickle solar charger while running the 12V house system. water pump, lights, radio etc. Much cheaper than a comparable capacity 12v battery.

Guilty? I've spent too many nights laying on a rock in a tent to feel guilty about my queen sized mattress with pillow topper. :D

YOu can get golf batteries at Sam's pretty cheap. THey are 3 celled and last longer and are tougher. The one disadvantage of have 2 - 6v batteries in series as opposed to 2 -12v batteries in parallel is that if one of the 6v goes out, your out of luck, the other 6v is useless until you buy another.

"travel trailers are sinful!" what does that mean.??? I've done some sinful stuff in them , if that's what you mean.:D Popups are nice because of the towing requirements. Travel Trailers will require a full size SUV or Truck atleast.

"travel trailers are sinful!" what does that mean.??? I've done some sinful stuff in them , if that's what you mean.:D

If we followed the convention of naming your kid after where they were conceived we would have a little girl named "Camper" on the way. :D

If we followed the convention of naming your kid after where they were conceived we would have a little girl named "Camper" on the way. :D

Just another reason to make sure ther trailer frame is in good condition. :rockin:

"travel trailers are sinful!" what does that mean.??? I've done some sinful stuff in them , if that's what you mean.:D Popups are nice because of the towing requirements. Travel Trailers will require a full size SUV or Truck atleast.

The one I linked requires 2,713lbs, I have a compact SUV and it pulls 3,500lbs. That ultralight travel trailer is built so smaller vehicles can tow it!

"travel trailers are sinful!" what does that mean.??? I've done some sinful stuff in them , if that's what you mean.:D

I just meant that they're too decadent for me.:D
A few years ago, as I was leaving a campground and got behind one of those monsters. The spare tire cover had a mural of some mountains on it with the words "Roughin' It" superimposed on the mural. I had to laugh at that one. My pop-up is far from "roughing it", and that thing is just your house on wheels.:)

I just meant that they're too decadent for me.:D
A few years ago, as I was leaving a campground and got behind one of those monsters. The spare tire cover had a mural of some mountains on it with the words "Roughin' It" superimposed on the mural. I had to laugh at that one. My pop-up is far from "roughing it", and that thing is just your house on wheels.:)

It's not camping without fresh baked strawberry rhubarb pie (trailer oven) topped with cold ice cream. (freezer)

Missus wants something to do while I fish all day. :D

The one I linked requires 2,713lbs, I have a compact SUV and it pulls 3,500lbs. That ultralight travel trailer is built so smaller vehicles can tow it!

Yup, but that doesnt count the added weight of water and crap load of stuff you will load into it. :D

Well I just called the guy to confirm cause I couldn't find the craigslist add. Well he sold the dang thing yesterday. I found another one for $600 that we're going to look at an hour away. It's a 75. Claims no leaks and that everything works and everything in great shape for the year.

Question. When I spoke to the guy he mentioned that he left everything opened up since last fall to avoid molding. Sounds good to me, BUT what effect would the winter air have on the canvas and screens just sitting out? There is no furnace or air conditioning or anything like that. It does have a two burner propane stove. We could buy a space heater/propane heater and a small AC unit or at least a fan. This is no big deal for $600. Just curious about the canvas being out all winter.

Well I just called the guy to confirm cause I couldn't find the craigslist add. Well he sold the dang thing yesterday. I found another one for $600 that we're going to look at an hour away. It's a 75. Claims no leaks and that everything works and everything in great shape for the year.

Question. When I spoke to the guy he mentioned that he left everything opened up since last fall to avoid molding. Sounds good to me, BUT what effect would the winter air have on the canvas and screens just sitting out? There is no furnace or air conditioning or anything like that. It does have a two burner propane stove. We could buy a space heater/propane heater and a small AC unit or at least a fan. This is no big deal for $600. Just curious about the canvas being out all winter.

I wouldn't spend $600 for a '75. My buddy just sold his '98 Coleman for that.

Shop around. That's way too much for a '75.

man that sucks, I guess it was a good steal. You won't know until you look at it. Yup a small heater /mr buddie heater will work. You could even do one of those stand up ac's that use a small dryer vent to vent the hot air out. Good luck.

man that sucks, I guess it was a good steal. You won't know until you look at it. Yup a small heater /mr buddie heater will work. You could even do one of those stand up ac's that use a small dryer vent to vent the hot air out. Good luck.

Minus the CO2 exhaust into ambient air with those. I've spent the night in a canvas side shanty on the ice with a Big Buddy running and felt fairly loopy afterward. I wouldn't want direct vent in an area my family was sleeping in.

Well little electric box heaters work well. Plus, its an excuse to have get close with swmbo.

I've used propane heaters and electric in my old camper. I never had any issues. those old things are plenty drafty enough so that you shouldn't have to worry about CO poisoning.

As far as the camper being open all year, I have no clue why he would do that. There should be no mold growth if it was dry when he closed it up, unless the roof leaks, thus letting moisture in and promoting mold. Leaving it open all winter is just asking for mice.

But if everything is in good shape, I would probably disagree that $600 is too much. If you like it, offer him $500 and see what he says.

30lb propane and 35 gallon fresh water, some bedding, extra clothes and cooking items / food. Hopefully I could squeeze that in under 700lbs

Sorry for the hijack, but this post just scares me. For the sake of safety, you don't want to just squeeze in under the limit. Typically, you want to look at the loaded weight, then add on 15 to 20% margin so that you can get up even small hills or drive into the wind. That trailer has a capacity of 5000 pounds fully loaded so I wouldn't pull it with a TV that couldn't do 6000.

Now of course you don't have to load it fully (I don't load mine too much - no kids, so not a lot of gear). But, do not underestimate how much the stuff you haul weighs. You have to include everything, and that means all the stuff that has to go in your car AND your passengers (yes, they have to be accounted for in the calculation). I have a 4100 pound dry weight trailer and minimally load it. My engine on my TV can pull 6000 and I have done some mods to help out (Superchips, Magnaflow, AFE cold air intake - the axles, tranny, cooler, etc., can pull 9000, but I have the smalller engine option, so I needed help). When I am full with food and water, I can go fine up hills or into the wind, but still struggle if it is uphill and into the wind. Just some friendly advice to keep you from ruining your vehicle.

One other trailer topic for everyone. Not many people know that if the trailer has a kitchen, a bed, and a bathroom, it can be considered a second home. If you buy it on a loan (not a vehicle loan but an RV loan), in most cases the interest is tax deductible. Just one more consideration if you are thinking about financing.

Sorry for the hijack, but this post just scares me. For the sake of safety, you don't want to just squeeze in under the limit. Typically, you want to look at the loaded weight, then add on 15 to 20% margin so that you can get up even small hills or drive into the wind. That trailer has a capacity of 5000 pounds fully loaded so I wouldn't pull it with a TV that couldn't do 6000.

Now of course you don't have to load it fully (I don't load mine too much - no kids, so not a lot of gear). But, do not underestimate how much the stuff you haul weighs. You have to include everything, and that means all the stuff that has to go in your car AND your passengers (yes, they have to be accounted for in the calculation). I have a 4100 pound dry weight trailer and minimally load it. My engine on my TV can pull 6000 and I have done some mods to help out (Superchips, Magnaflow, AFE cold air intake - the axles, tranny, cooler, etc., can pull 9000, but I have the smalller engine option, so I needed help). When I am full with food and water, I can go fine up hills or into the wind, but still struggle if it is uphill and into the wind. Just some friendly advice to keep you from ruining your vehicle.

One other trailer topic for everyone. Not many people know that if the trailer has a kitchen, a bed, and a bathroom, it can be considered a second home. If you buy it on a loan (not a vehicle loan but an RV loan), in most cases the interest is tax deductible. Just one more consideration if you are thinking about financing.

Good advice. Plus one more thing to mention is that larger Trailers come with weight distributing hitches and sway control and electric brakes. Smaller pop-ups probably not. So you do want to stay within the limits of you vehicle. Some advice, if you will be staying at a place that has water, do not bother filling up your water tanks. A lot of weight will be lost by filling those puppies up.

Talked it over with the wife last night before dozing off. Consensus was, even though we'd LOVE to have one and start camping this year, we jumped into the idea off a whim and excitement and are going to take the 500-1000 we were planning on spending and take care of some other priorities to free up some monthly income. We are going to wait until next year to dive into the camping scene. We want to be able to afford the camper and amenities we want in one. Not just Get what we can currently throw out of our bank account. Plus next year our boy will be walking and camping overall will be more enjoyable I think. We're going to tent camp a little this year and try and get out with my parents at their camper and SWMBO's parent's camper as much as possible. Also we meshed our schedules so far for the summer and we have 1 more open weekend between now and the end of July. And I'll be using that for a double 10G brew day for the boys 1st birthday party and our own supply. 10G of Fat Tire and 10G of ???

Dammit... You got a good head on your shoulders!:mug: You just ended a good thread. JK. But seriously that is a great idea, borrow some other trailers and see what you like and don't like. I agree with you though, it sucks to have to make a monthly payment for a Travel trailer, so save up and get a deal on a used one. We bought a used '99 Travel trailer cash. Everytime we camp in it, swmbo points out the lush ones with slides, then I remind her ours is paid off and is comfortable enough for our 2 little ones. Now when they get older and want to bring friends, well then maybe we'll upgrade.

I do suggest you do the camping/rv stuff with the kids. They will love you for it and always remember it. It brings the family unit back to basics.

I also woke up and changed my mind, we are going to go ahead and look into an RV since we have a storage lot near our home. I thought about trading in my vehicle for something large, but I drive 70 miles round trip to work each day so it would kill us in the end. :mug:

To qualify, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has ruled that:

The RV Must be used as security for the loan.
The RV must have basic sleeping, cooking, and toilet facilities.

There has been some static on the number of nights you stay in the RV but a number is hard to find and even harder to prove.

The ruling also applies to boats with the same qualifying rules. :mug:

We tent camped a bit, but we decided to get a pop up. We got a $200 pop-up, which served for a while, before we upgraded to a last-years model for cheap. Our old one went to friends for a backyard sleeper and he is still using it AFAIK for his kids). We ended up selling our pop-up a year or so later to get a travel trailer. We actually made money on the pop up and the guy was pleased as all heck to buy it at the price we put on the sign.

Our travel trailer is a 25' model with 4 bunks in back end, king size fold-out on front, plus a futon bed and the table is a bed too. Lots of sleeping room for friends and nieces and nephews.

The pop up was nice because we could store some stuff in their and only pack clothes and food, etc. on day we leave. TT was an upgrade form that because we can pretty much keep everything in there and if we don't open the fold-out bed, we can pull in, plug in electric and be done, if it's raining. No more putting up or putting down in the electric storms! (damn near got hit once...)

But it's a big tow, and we actually bought a Durango just because of it. Sometimes I wish I was puling a pop up until we get there, then I'm glad I don't got to mess around with the thing.

My perfect camping though it backpacking trips to Manitou Islands. Everything on your back, including the shovel you need to dig your latrine.

The funny part about pop-ups is how freaked my wife is by them. She is convinced that during the nightly slumber someone will sneak up, slice the canvas and steal your children. Hence why I must now find something that's metal and has a locking door. :drunk:

Why then you would want to barricade yourself in among all the woodland kidnappers is beyond me, I would think if its that dangerous we should just stay home! :cross:

The funny part about pop-ups is how freaked my wife is by them. She is convinced that during the nightly slumber someone will sneak up, slice the canvas and steal your children. Hence why I must now find something that's metal and has a locking door. :drunk:

Why then you would want to barricade yourself in among all the woodland kidnappers is beyond me, I would think if its that dangerous we should just stay home! :cross:

That really does happen , you know. :(

For those of you looking for something similiar to a pop up, there are travel trailers by Hi-lo that are hard shells, but the top slides down over the bottom. THey are a bit more than a pop up, but great for pulling and visibility when towning. When being towed, they are about the height of a popup.

Back