Low price brew pot - ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blowmax10

Reaction score
so i got some stainless steel pots from Harbor Freight for next to nothing - are they ok to use??

I would say if they are stainless steel and not aluminum you are pretty good. Some people fuss about the gauge of the steel but if you can tell the difference in your brew you have better taste buds than I do.

And I would say that even if they were aluminum it really wouldn't matter. Aluminum is fine for brewing too.

Do a search for aluminum vs. stainless. You will find great info and also find out that many brewers use aluminum. John Palmer from How to Brew has used it too. There are many myths associated with aluminum, but the reality is they are as safe as stainless (and cheaper too).

I have that set of Harbor Freight pots. Not the best quality, but for $30 bucks it is a decent set especially since I am on a stove top. Just make sure to clean them well, the rivets on mine had some black grease on them that took some scrubbing before my first use.

You could also put a disc of aluminum (best) or steel between the pot and the burner to minimize hot spots due to the thin gauge and you'd be still saving a lot of money.

You could also put a disc of aluminum (best) or steel between the pot and the burner to minimize hot spots due to the thin gauge and you'd be still saving a lot of money.

That's a really good idea and i bet i could find something in the scrap bin at work to do it

Back