WOW holy killer krausen monster hefe trying to escape

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEPABREWER

Reaction score
My airlock was blown out this morning so I put a hose in the top of the bucket - I get home for lunch and there is wort all over the floor, the top looks like its ready to blow and foam and bubbles fart like wet diarreah every minute or so into the gallon water jug at the other end of the hose. I've read about violent fermentations, but didn't imagine this.

NEPABREWER said:
...looks like its ready to blow and foam and bubbles fart like wet diarreah every minute or so...

Green homebrew will do that to you. My wife hates me the day after I got hopped up on homebrew.

Cheesefood said:
Green homebrew will do that to you. My wife hates me the day after I got hopped up on homebrew.
So I had a party one weekend a few guys from the office came over.. ran out of aged brew so we broke into the green ones... Monday at work, the smell in the office was enough to drive the boss away (his office smelled really bad ) My Homebrew has been banned from parties if we have to work the next day.

NEPABREWER said:
My airlock was blown out this morning so I put a hose in the top of the bucket - I get home for lunch and there is wort all over the floor, the top looks like its ready to blow and foam and bubbles fart like wet diarreah every minute or so into the gallon water jug at the other end of the hose. I've read about violent fermentations, but didn't imagine this.
Got any pictures?
Might be a few here that would like it for their avatar:rockin:

Well - I tasted the remains of this uberhefe after the transfer from the prim to the sec and it is GOOD. I cannot wait until it is carbed. Awseome.

My Hefe was an Ahhhnold type too (I know wrong country) it blew large chunks of yeast into my airlock and leaked CO2 out of the bucket lid seal. Quite luckily or it would have completely covered my coats with yeast in a massive beer-splosion

I'll say that maybe next time I do a Hefe I might try to rack more yeast into my bottling bucket from my secondary as I don't think I've got as much of a yeasty flavor as you get with commercial Weihenstephan, and I used Weihenstephan yeast.

I noticed this with my first hefe, unless the yeast is swirled out of the bottle it lacks that "FLAVOR" but this second batch (which had a total of 8 lbs of LME as opposed to the 6) had that nice yeasty taste when sampled after the transfer from primary to secondary. So I wonder if I should be putting Hefes in a secondary at all or if only for a few days.

Where you getting that Kolsch kit from? I've brewed 2 batches using a Kolsch yeast, but they are not true to style. You should see the .5 gallon of baby sh*t lookin yeast cake at the bottom of that bucket. I pitched a second batch on top and it was bibbling in an hour.

My Kolsch kit came from Midwest Brewing Supplies. Cologne Kolsch kit

I'm going to be doing a lower end on the Kolsch temperature for fermentation when I get the money to get the temperature regulator for a fridge. I'll be using Wyeast liquid Kolsch yeast.
I assume it is close to style, but I don't recall the grain bill on the specialty grains. They use light LME for the extract. If I have the grain bill on it I'll post it when I have more time.

Unfortunately there is no grain bill for the specialty grains in the Midwest Homebrew Supplies Cologne Kolsch kit.

Latest posts

Back