Chiller Wars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

korndog

Reaction score
Hi guys
I was just screwing around and decided to to a simple chiller comparison. This is just chilling, and it's just water. No other factors being considered. The first video is recirculating through a Therminator back into the kettle. I will do the IC tomorrow. Ground water temperature is 60F. Edit: It's only 25' of coil, not 50'

[youtube]vyzatN1A7_M[/youtube]

NICE!!!! Would you actually recirc off the therminator if you actually were using wort? I'd be worried about all the cold break. I'm in the market for either a CFC or plate. I'd be interested to see how a chillzilla stacks up.

Before anyone gets too excited, just remember that the ground water is 60F. Coolant temp is EVERYTHING with any chiller.

Are you planning to whirlpool the "wort" in the IC version?

Very cool and fast. Looking forward to the IC version!

I wish my ground water was 60 degrees!

I'd love to see my thermometer rapidly spinning counter-clockwise like that. And I live a few miles from korndog, and would like to know why MY ground water isn't 60 degrees!!

I just measured it...77°F. Time to write my congressman and complain!

Before anyone gets too excited, just remember that the ground water is 60F. Coolant temp is EVERYTHING with any chiller.

Are you planning to whirlpool the "wort" in the IC version?

Yes, my IC setup has a whirlpool arm that gives a good circulation around the chiller. I'll get this done today.

NICE!!!! Would you actually recirc off the therminator if you actually were using wort? I'd be worried about all the cold break. I'm in the market for either a CFC or plate. I'd be interested to see how a chillzilla stacks up.

Yes, I recirculate through my chiller. I actually start it during the boil to sanitize. You can do a post chill whirlpool if you wish.

What are you using to filter the kettle output?

I use hop bags right now, but I want to eliminate them if possible. This is one part of my process that I am still experimenting with. I have pumped pellet hops and break through the chiller with no problems. Obviously, leaf hops are a no-no. I just go myself a hopback and will try some filtration options through that. Boil screens have not been good for me.

Ok, here is part 2 with the immersion chiller. This is a very rudimentary study and only applies to my equipment. The difference is more dramatic with larger batches. The one thing that I feel is debunked is the notion that the IC cools more of the wort in the critical DMS range. I don't think this argument has much merit if you are pumping at a reasonable rate. I will be conducting more thorough tests which will include real wort with real cold/hot break.

[youtube]CXIRNeGMMrU[/youtube]

Great videos. I commend you, sir.

I'd get some serious filtering going on for your therminator. It's days are numbered if you're recircing cold break and trub back through it. Have you read that thread over at the brewboard for recommended cleaning/ sanitation of plate chillers?

Do you have an idea of how much coolant you went through on each run? It would have been a really useful data point. Running the output into a bucket would have been enough to establish a flow rate.

Do you have an idea of how much coolant you went through on each run? It would have been a really useful data point. Running the output into a bucket would have been enough to establish a flow rate.

No, I just set the hose bib to the same position and ran it into the pool. I'll go fill a bucket and we can figure it out.

Back