Apfelwein holds a head???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhys79

Reaction score
I just kegged my first batch of apfelwein. Is it normal for it to hold a head when carbonated? I get a thick creamy head that actually sticks around better than any of the extract brews I've done so far.

Ive seen this on non alcoholic sparkling cider. I think the sugars and proteins in apple juice or cider will form a stable head. out of curiosity what was the ending gravity, how dry is it?

Honestly haven't heard of a cider holding much of a head, though sometimes some keep a thin one.

OG - 1.056, FG - 1.000.

It starts out with a good 2in head and is semi-stable for 5+ minutes, very slowly dissapates, and clings nicely to the side of the glass when tipped. I started off with the cheap no preservative juice from concentrate from Wal-Mart, a couple pounds of corn sugar, and Montrachet yeast. It tastes really good, just sweet enough, not too dry. Overall very good.

Also, it's only been on gas for a couple of days, so it's not heavily carbonated yet. 18-20psi (10ft of 3/16" beer line) and shook the hell out of it for about 10min on gas after it was chilled in the keg.

Back