Soaking Plate Chiller to clean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
Read alot of threads about using a pump to clean out a plate chiller, but what about just soaking one?

The fittings are taped on mine so I think I can only bake it at around 400*, so I was thinking of doing a long soak in some cleaner (havent decided which kind yet)?

Would this work ok to soak it, flush it/backflush it a few times, and soak/repeat a few more times?

If so, whats a good cleaner that I can use to warm up and let it soak in?

I doubt simply soaking a plate chiller will provide satisfactory results. It's bad enough you can't see anything in there, and you know there's a crapton of convoluted plates a scant space apart, with trapped air all through it, along with whatever foreign matter is crudding it up.

Imo, you really want to push cleaner through a plate chiller in both directions, and with some force...

Cheers!

I'm not really opposed to pumping cleaner through it. I had just removed it from my stand and figured it would be best to bake it and let it soak. I guess it would also give me a good chance to really clean out my kettle.

So if I hook it back up, and decide to pump cleaner through it, whats a good cleaner and a proper way to do this?

Dumb questions, but are those considered caustic? I've read that caustic is the best method to truly clean and flush out the plate chiller.

Back