1st BIAB (Gumballhead Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crypto_Sailor

Reaction score
Hello this is going to be my 1st attempt at BIAB. I've got a SQ-14 burner w/windshield and a keggle w/ball lock, sight glass and thermo.

My main dilemma is I can't find anything that tells me about how long to boil (I'm assuming 90mins) but I know what assume means. How much my boil off will be, whats my mash temp, strike water temp,how much trub loss will occur etc... Can someone lead this horse to water so he can drink?

Below is everything I know and or should expect from this recipe

R/
Brian

Briess White Wheat 6lbs 120z
Briess 2-Row brewers malt 4lbs 04oz
Caramel Vienne 0lbs 12oz

Amarillo 1oz @ FWH
Amarillo 1oz @ 30 Mins
Amarillo 1oz @ 15 Mins
Amarillo 1oz @ 5 Mins
Amarillo 1oz @ Dry Hop
SAFBREW WB-06 Wheat Beer

OG- 1.056 - 1.075 (1.066) FG-1.010-1.018 (1.017)
IBU-40-70 (63.1) SRM-6-15 (6.76) ABV-5.50-7.50 (6.42)

good luck on your brew....
i'm right behind you am going out tomorrow to purchase a SQ-14 & some tanks and then mail order my 15 gallon pot.

i enjoy belgian beers most.

and am wondering,... with the white wheat will you do a protien rest before reaching mash temps?

thanx for the reply...

cheers:mug:

GD51

I'm a relative noob (~1 yr of brewing), so this advice is probably worth exactly what you paid for it! Mash temperature is part of the recipe, just like oven temp is part of the recipe for your dinner. Adjust it to suit your particular tastes, or the style of beer you're brewing. Lower temps (148ish) produce a thinner, drier beer. Higher temps (156-158) produce heavier, maltier beers. I have only done a few wheat beers, but they were all in the mid to low range, 152-154F.

After you decide on your mash temp, just use one of the many available online strike temp calculators. I'm a full volume BIAB brewer, so I calculate my water-to-grain ratio to include all the water, then use that in the calculator. It is usually in the upper 2 qts/lb range. If you're directly heating your strike water in your boil kettle, you don't need to figure any mash tun heat losses for the strike temp, since your mash tun and all of your strike water are already at the required temp. Some folks BIAB in a separate cooler or kettle (defeats the purpose of BIAB in my mind, but hey... do what works for you, right?), so in that case you will need to figure or guesstimate your mash tun heat loss.

My boil-off rate is right at 1 gal/hr, but will vary with local conditions, altitude, and the vigor of your boil. Pick a number between 1 and 1.5 gal/hr, then adjust accordingly on your next brew. Have some clean extra water standing by in case you need to top-off. I calculate my total starting volume in reverse by adding all the expected losses to the amount of finished product I want. For example:

Beer wanted: 5 gal
Fermenter trub: .25 gal
Kettle trub/loss: .25 gal
Boil-off (90 min): 1.5 gal
Hop absorption: 0.25 gal (using whole hops)
Grain absorption: 1 gal (assuming about 0.075 gal/lb grain, but varies depending on how you drain the bag)

Starting water needed: 8.25 gal

Trub amounts will vary with the recipe. I usually drain everything from my BK except about the last quart.

Check out BIABrewer.info. Lots of great info there, although it's predominately in metric units. Plenty of folks who will be happy to convert your recipe to suit your exact equipment profile.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the world of BIAB!

Can someone lead this horse to water so he can drink?

Start w/ say 9 gal strike water at 158 - 160, add grain and mash for 60-90 minutes at 152-154, boil for 60-90 minutes to reduce to 6 gallons to end w/ 5 gallons of finished beer out of the fermenter.

It really is almost this simple. cheers! RDWHAHB

Gumballhead Clone is done and has been in a keg for about 3 weeks at about 15PSI. I've tasted it a few times and while its not perfect it does taste a little like the real deal. I'm in the process of getting a bottle or two from a few buddies who live near 3 Floyd's.

I know I made some mistakes with this batch, but having only made 1 extract batch I'm very proud of the final outcome.

Now the hunt begins for the next batch!

Gumballhead Clone is done and has been in a keg for about 3 weeks at about 15PSI. I've tasted it a few times and while its not perfect it does taste a little like the real deal. I'm in the process of getting a bottle or two from a few buddies who live near 3 Floyd's.

I know I made some mistakes with this batch, but having only made 1 extract batch I'm very proud of the final outcome.

Now the hunt begins for the next batch!

don't be so hard on your self,.... it's all the joy of learning:mug:

GD51:mug:

I'm not beating myself up too bad. Me and the guy who helped are proud seeing this was our 1st BIAB!

image-3372998615.jpg

I'm also thankful for this forum and all the people who've provided me advice. Your first time brewing is like the first time you rode a bike. It's a little scary until you get the hang of it.

Back