Equipment for commerical keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipopiad

Reaction score
I found a 7.75 gal commercial style keg at a garage sale for $18, so of course I bought it. The problem is, I only have the equipment for Corny kegs. What additional equipment do I need, and where do I find it? My LHBS doesn't have any of it. I did a quick Google search but I don't know the differences in this style of keg.

I also noticed that it has a wooden bung. Is there somewhere I can buy these, or would the silicone ones work?

Here's a picture of the keg:

ForumRunner_20120720_001457.jpg

And here's a picture of the connection

ForumRunner_20120720_001517.jpg

The keg has G. HEILMAN BREWING COMPANY stamped on the top, if that helps

That was my old neighbor that took it from me and sold it to you. Send it back and we are all good.

That would be an old Hoff Stevens keg. Check e-bay for a cheap used coupler. The wooden bungs are pretty easy to find, try kegworks, amazon, e-bay, or several online kegging and homebrew shops. Never seen silicone ones, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

JuanMoore said:
That would be an old Hoff Stevens keg. Check e-bay for a cheap used coupler. The wooden bungs are pretty easy to find, try kegworks, amazon, e-bay, or several online kegging and homebrew shops. Never seen silicone ones, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Would the coupler work with my regulator? Or would I have to buy a new one? If that's the case I might just use it as a fermentor or something, I'm not looking to spend a lot of extra money on it

Would the coupler work with my regulator? Or would I have to buy a new one? If that's the case I might just use it as a fermentor or something, I'm not looking to spend a lot of extra money on it

Yep, the gas hose connects to the barb on the side of the coupler. Since Hoff Stevens stuff is so old, a new coupler will cost a small fortune. If you search the classifieds here and e-bay you should be able to find a used one for ~$10. You may need to replace the o-rings on an older used one though, and the figure 8 o-ring usually runs $5-$8.

Yep, the gas hose connects to the barb on the side of the coupler. Since Hoff Stevens stuff is so old, a new coupler will cost a small fortune. If you search the classifieds here and e-bay you should be able to find a used one for ~$10. You may need to replace the o-rings on an older used one though, and the figure 8 o-ring usually runs $5-$8.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Back