Building a morebeer tippy dump replica

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sr20steve

Reaction score
Hey all, Im pretty new to the forums being Im a fairly new home brewer. But I have a buddy of mine who is a longtime all grain home brewer (and puts out some amazing brews IMO) that I would go to his house and help with his brew days. Seeing his setup on bayou burner stands, and cardboard boxes I asked why didn't he have a dedicated setup to brew his beer? He said he would like to have a brew sculpture but just hasn't had the disposable money to justify buying one....heres where I come in. Im a fitter/welder by trade and do high pressure xray pipe welds for work, and know my way around layout as well. So I posed a challenge to him (over many delicious brews of course), that I would build him a sculpture like he wanted if he would help me in my all grain quest with my own sculpture. Sounds like a fair trade to me? he sent a picture of the morebeer tippy dump, and it looks like a amazing design. So I sketched a design and went from there.

The morebeer.com website list the dimensions as 48" long x 22.5" wide x 51" tall...so I took those and ran with them here is what I came up with its a little different in size then the tippy dump but still plenty of room.
0b4e096b.jpg

I picked up the 100' of 2x2 .065 square tube needed (actually figured out I need another 102"...fail) and Im ready to build. I'll be TIG welding the whole thing being stick is waaay too much for this thin of material. I'll post pics of the progress as I go!
8a870514.jpg

Building something similar to this:
1550.jpg

For my setup, I plan on using 15 gallon kettles and using banjo burners and 304 SS socket weld gas piping (I already have a surplus of 304 1/2" stainless pipe and socket weld fittings) this build might be over the top, lol.

Meh... Over rated
And who wants to climb a ladder to stir mash?

P1010507.jpg

P1010505.jpg

Oh... 4 large casters, PID Control, Banjo Burners, Intermittent Pilot (good luck getting any of those options on a MoreBeer stand)

2x2 is overkill... 1x2 would have been plenty. Your skills as a welder are going to produce one beautiful stand for your friend.
Don't forget to update with progress photos.

Meh... Over rated

P1010507.jpg

P1010505.jpg

Oh... 4 large casters, PID Control, Banjo Burners, Intermittent Pilot (good luck getting any of those options on a MoreBeer stand)

Anything is possible;) thats the beauty of building something yourself. And if you don't like something (dimensions, need support, and extra fold out table, etc) you can make it happen. That is a sweet setup you have there, I never thought of the filter system, and while keeping with the stealing other peoples ideas theme, I just might steal that one, lol!

I do plan on using the same burners that you have, the 200k btu banjo for the hot liquor, and the smaller 55k banjo burners for the mash tun and boil kettle.

And fwiw, the morebeer tippy dump as it stands I can look into the mash tun its just a touch over 4' but still kinda awkward like you said, but mine will be 2" shorter Im hoping that this will help a bit and wont need a step stool to get to the mash tun.

Ok... first thing I noticed is the Mopar banner in the background. This guy is okay with me. :D

Second photo: is he praying to the welding or beer gods?

I am eager to see this stand come together.

Thanks guys! This is me trying to make two identical frames, its much harder than you would expect. My abrasive saw leaves much to be desired as far as fit up, wish I had a decent bandsaw.
DSC_0272.jpg

I saw the welder and thought... "this guy has got to have a motorcycle somewhere... and likely a chopper" ... I was right about the bike part... (didn't even see the MC helmet at first glance)

Ya you must be a gearhead of all sorts...Mopar banner throws me because I first noticed the STI banner (personally have Ej207 swapped wagon now) then the SR20 name, that has to have some weight and def with myself because I have owned 3 240s, built 2 with Sr's so I am curious what other projects you have broken out that badass welder for? hum?

Hhaaha awesome build and cant wait to see the progress on the rig...

Ya you must be a gearhead of all sorts...Mopar banner throws me because I first noticed the STI banner (personally have Ej207 swapped wagon now) then the SR20 name, that has to have some weight and def with myself because I have owned 3 240s, built 2 with Sr's so I am curious what other projects you have broken out that badass welder for? hum?

Hhaaha awesome build and cant wait to see the progress on the rig...

Nice read! I'm sr20steve because I have owned 2 SE-R's and still have a loyalty to the SR20 to some sort (best motor made IMO), I also owned a fully built 04 Sti (built motor, tial 44, gt3071r, just about every single bolt on you can imagine) but it was nothing but trouble, I went through 3 shortblocks with that car. I ended up trading it in for a lancer evolution X, and I have been driving that since. it just has a tune and a intake that I built and it already makes 300 whp, it's a very stout car with little mods.

The ej207 is my favorite Subaru motor, had the reliability, the power, and the revs. The ej25 was the worst thing to happen to Subaru. I'm actually considering getting a new Sti if the FB20 turns out to be a stout motor, it looks promising.

Meh... Over rated

P1010507.jpg

How stable would that stand be with a mashtun full? I'd hate to swing the mash tun over and topple the entire stand over. 42lbs of grain leaves about 33lbs of water plus say 25lbs of spend grain, plus 35lbs for the mashtun (keg). The More Beer setup looks more stable. A fellow homebrewer has the 25 gallon size, and it hardly even rocks when he dumps all of his grain. Suckers like me have to scoop the grain out until I can lift my mash tun, but it isn't like I am running the system 24 hours a day.

The question is not 'would' the question's 'is'
The customer and I brewed on it 4 times together and dump the full mash (10 gallon recipes) straight into a wheel barrow.

Perhaps you should ask the owner of this stand about it's stability. This stand doesn't go anywhere, if it did, we wouldn't sell it.

It took four days of staring at it and CAD sketches to come up with the design. Looks are deceiving.

Finally a update. Things have been going pretty slow in progress. I decided to go with Kurt's (OneHoppyGuy) burner shrouds from brewsteel.com and the early tests show that this thing makes a HUGE difference. I basically have the stands welded up I just have the mash tun with the brewsteel shroud and the small burner with the adapters. I did a 10 gallon brew day for ****s and giggles and the mash was within temp in about 30 minutes. My buddy who has the larger burners with no shrouds takes longer to hit mash temp for the same volume. You can't even put your hands next to his kettles without getting a burn, thats how much BTU's you lose without a shroud. Another thing I like is the adjustability. The one thing I did screw up on was that I thought all the shrouds were stainless steel, its not the case the $35 is steel and the SS is $45...since I only bought one steel one I sold it to my buddy and I plan on buying the SS ones because I wanna pimp my brewstand, lol.

One thing I did figure out is that I made my lowest tier just a tad too low, i'll need to raise it up on casters to be able to gravity feed to my carboys. Heres some pics and happy brewing!

Steve

Here is the example of how the shroud makes a tight encloser around the heat source, I didn't realize how important this was till this very moment lol.
standshroud.jpg

standburner.jpg

Here is my mock brew day, I did a Pliny clone and it turned out fantastic...
standview.jpg

standsparge.jpg

Action shots!
DSC_0283.jpg

standweld.jpg

Stacking dimes!

Wow, thanks for the heads up! Glad I haven't gone so far as to not cut them out and restart. I didn't realize that those cut outs served a purpose, these are some well thought out shrouds. Even the way it was it did a helluva job directing heat at my kettles.

Made some big progress today. Took OneHoppyDude's suggestion and modified my brew stand to use his air vents. I also used the 1"x2" .065 wall tubing for the burner brackets. I'm very happy how things are turning out. This stand is for my brewing buddy but I'm learning a crap ton from my mistakes from this one. My frame is already done, I think my personal build will go much smoother.

Here are some pics.
056946b6.jpg

2ced67e2.jpg

True Dat!!

The hardest part was trying to figure out the burner supports, and what dimension to put them on center. How do you know where to put those supports? I'll bet you have a way that is so simple that I will be mad that I fought them the whole way. Dealing with the 45* made it much more difficult.

it only took many stands, 6 versions of shrouds and a year and a half... so simple.. Thank God for AutoCad and Waterjets

Im bringing it back. This build has been my inspiration. Great design Steve. Mine doesn't do yours justice. I'm at the crossroads to with burner supports, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

image-2386229149.jpg

Got my burner shrouds mounted. Went with the BrewSteel burner shrouds, just steel. These things make it easy... Can't wait to try them out. Thanks again BrewSteel.

image-2025039590.jpg

Would you mind sharing plans/list of material for this project? I'm trying to build one myself with a tipping top tier. Thanks so much!

Would you mind sharing plans/list of material for this project? I'm trying to build one myself with a tipping top tier. Thanks so much!
Would also love to see some plans and materials list on this one. I can't seem to find where BrewSteel sells their stuff. It's just a 404 page.

Back