Mini micro brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
runhard said:
How many barrel brewery are you talking about?

Not a barrell setup - a 5-10 gallon setup. Just thinking about something permanent, instead of having to drag all this stuff out every time.

Also, climate controlled and rain won't be a problem.

Do you mean like a RIMS/HERMS? Where in the house are you looking to put this? I'm closely following this for building my own brewery:http://just-brew-it.com If it's indoors you'll have to pay special attn to your burners and avoiding CO poisoning....you'll need some sort of exhaust fan to the outside, probably easy clean floors, etc. etc.

this guy has made a very comprehensive site with plans, pics, etc. SWEET!

Here's what I did.

I got 2 small construction scaffolds from Home Depot @ $99 each (that seemed like about what I would pay for a dedicated brew stand). They are 4' long and about 2' wide. And put a 20 lb. LPG tank, turkey fryer and a 9 gal. pot on the top shelf of the first scaffold. Then 2 each 1"x8"s x 2' long run from the first scaffold to the second at mid level hold my MLT. The second scaffold has a banjo burner & my boil pot on the lowest level. This setup allows a gravity flow all the way to the fermenter. It takes up more room than a permanent setup but allows me to use the scaffolds for other purposes. Also the scaffolds fold up so I can store them in a relatively small foot print and they have lockable wheels so I can move them around if I want or need to.

The entire setup would be about 10' long. And I did stack some more lumber on the 1'x8's to get the MLT at just the right height for my boil pot.

:mug:

abracadabra said:
Here's what I did.

I got 2 small construction scaffolds from Home Depot @ $99 each (that seemed like about what I would pay for a dedicated brew stand). They are 4' long and about 2' wide. And put a 20 lb. LPG tank, turkey fryer and a 9 gal. pot on the top shelf of the first scaffold. Then 2 each 1"x8"s x 2' long run from the first scaffold to the second at mid level hold my MLT. The second scaffold has a banjo burner & my boil pot on the lowest level. This setup allows a gravity flow all the way to the fermenter. It takes up more room than a permanent setup but allows me to use the scaffolds for other purposes. Also the scaffolds fold up so I can store them in a relatively small foot print and they have lockable wheels so I can move them around if I want or need to.

The entire setup would be about 10' long. And I did stack some more lumber on the 1'x8's to get the MLT at just the right height for my boil pot.

:mug:

Thanks for the info

Mine has a much smaller footprint than what you're looking for. I can send you details on the measurements if you want them.

There are some more pics here.

brew%20stand%20in%20action.jpg

Lil' Sparky said:
Mine has a much smaller footprint than what you're looking for. I can send you details on the measurements if you want them.

There are some more pics here.

brew%20stand%20in%20action.jpg

I like that - I'm not going to have enough height for that. Thinking HLT & mash tun level, with brew kettle below.

What's your maximum height? My HLT is 6'8" at the top.

2-tiers are really nice. You'll need a pump for the HLT->MLT sparge water transfer. That only adds $100-150 to the cost, but also sets you up for HERMS if you want to go that route.

The morebeer.com 1550 design is also very compact and not quite as high. You can probably find some plans online because a lot of people have copied it and built one themselves.

1912.jpg

I've always thought about doing a 2 level system where the HLT is raised and the MLT & keggle are one the lower sides, then using pnumatic pistons to raise the MLT into the keggle...

check out my gallery I built a gravity /pump system that you can brew 24 gal in an easy 8 hour brew day and it fits and brews in my garage with a tippy tun.
think electric and your well on your way.
Good luck
pm me if you want some 411 on the system
JJ

Jaybird said:
check out my gallery I built a gravity /pump system that you can brew 24 gal in an easy 8 hour brew day and it fits and brews in my garage with a tippy tun.
think electric and your well on your way.
Good luck
pm me if you want some 411 on the system
JJ

Jaybird-
Where'd you score those stainless sections of pipe? I imagine all those stainless tees, valves, etc. weren't cheap. I'm in the R&D phase of building my rig and am trying to decide what kind of piping and fittings I'll use.

ScubaSteve said:
Jaybird-
Where'd you score those stainless sections of pipe? I imagine all those stainless tees, valves, etc. weren't cheap. I'm in the R&D phase of building my rig and am trying to decide what kind of piping and fittings I'll use.
I work for a CO. that likes to through away alot of good stuff. I just had to get a scrap pass for it and then spend hours and hours cleaning it up to make it useable. the HLT is electric and works KILLER, I HIGHLY recomend doing electric for the HLT.
On the note of cost the tees and a lot of the fittings I did have to buy and really for the part its only about 30% more $$ to do stainless over copper. BUT on that note the next system I build will be all copper. Stainless is just a pain to work with.

JJ

I imagine you'd have to have SOME brass, as they don't make copper ball valves....at least not that I know of.....

I think I may do copper tubing with brass fittings...if only because they're color coordinated.

MadWeezel said:
I've always thought about doing a 2 level system where the HLT is raised and the MLT & keggle are one the lower sides, then using pnumatic pistons to raise the MLT into the keggle...

Maybe take this apart and build it into your system? Gravety feed from Hlt to MLT, then raise the MLT to gravity feed into the boil kettle.

Back