keg too foamy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choffon

Reaction score
so ive been searching the forums and been getting a lot of mixed answers so i thought i would try and ask the question. i have 2 kegs in my kegerator, the ambient is 29 degrees havent checked keg temp. my beer lines came from midwest so whatever their lines are is what i got 4 foot i guess not sure. both kegs are at 8 psi and i get 80% foam in every glass i pour. what am i doing wrong i cant figure it out

A long term fix it probably to add tubing to your beer lines...

A short term is to turn regulator to zero, bleed keg to no co2, open tap and turn gas up slowly until it start pouring.

I have always struggled with my carbonation for a variety of reasons that I won't even mention, but this always works to get beer flowing without too much foam.

Search the forum for "cure short hose troubles". I don't know how to link to it on my iPhone app but it's an ingenious idea to add these cheap mixers into your keg dip tube that knock the foam down big time. I just used some this week for the first time and they're great

It sounds like your lines are too short. What is your line ID? 3/16 or 1/4 inch? I would run at least 6-7 feet of 3/16" line. They need to be even longer if they are 1/4".

29 degrees is COLD! Do you mean 39 degrees, or is your beer nearly frozen? That makes a huge difference, too! Keep the kegerator at 39-40 degrees at the lowest, and about 10 psi would work great with longer lines.

29 degrees is COLD! Do you mean 39 degrees, or is your beer nearly frozen? That makes a huge difference, too! Keep the kegerator at 39-40 degrees at the lowest, and about 10 psi would work great with longer lines.

it doesnt seem to be close to frozen and i dont think the beer is that cold thats just how cold fridge is........

my long term fix is replacing the tower thats on top and getting all new lines cause im just using the picnic taps now

one was force carbed at 10 psi for awhile and the other one i naturally carbed and they both put out the same foam problem

and idk y i mentioned that the beer is warmer lol im not firing on all cylinders today too much 151

Back