Cider carbonation problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewski

Reaction score
I brewed a strong cider and bottled it a week ago, but after opening the first bottle, there's virtually no carbonation at all. Here are the specs...

OG: 1.074
FG: 1.014
ABV: ~8.1%

In addition to 5 gal of cider I added 1lb Dextrose, 1/2lb light brown sugar, and 3/4lb Agave nectar.

I did a primary and secondary fermentation for two weeks each using Wyeast 4766 Cider yeast.

I added 5/8 cup of light brown sugar dissolved into 1 cup of water at bottling.

Was there something wrong with my priming? Or do I just need to wait longer than a week?

Cheers!

I wouldn't worry yet, let it go for another two weeks. 8.1% abv isn't a great environment for the yeast, and it may take them a while to get the job done.

Interesting. I was looking for some real maple syrup at a whole foods store this past weekend and found something called Sorghum Syrup. It has a pretty distinct flavor similar to molasses. I might try a gallon using this stuff in place of sugar and see how it tastes.

Back