Finally Drinking My First Homebrew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smyrnaquince

Reaction score
Well, I'm sitting on the back porch enjoying the satisfaction of drinking my first homebrew, a hefeweizen. I split the first 22 oz bottle with my wife. It tasted so good, I had to open another one. Nice banana aroma, not too clove-y. I usually am a one (12 oz bottle of beer kind of guy, but this was good and the satisfaction of having brewed it myself added to the pleasure.)

The only thing that went wrong is that it is a bit under-carbonated. I tried letting the flow from the primary into the bottling bucket mix the sugar water (3/4 cup corn sugar in 2 cups boiled water) and I think I got inconsistent carbonation results. The second bottle had more carbonation than the first. Next time, I will stir the bottling bucket.

I now know to add most of the extract at 15 minutes before flameout. All the extract was in the brewpot for the full 60 minutes, so the beer is darker than one would expect for a hefeweizen.

There is very little yeast in the bottle, which surprised me. Not quite sure what happened there. I used WLP300.

The beer spent two weeks in the primary and 3 weeks in the bottle. OG = 1.044. FG = 1.013. ABV = 4.07%.

Truth be told, this is the second beer I made, but the first I've drunk. The first one is a stout that I brewed a week before the hefeweizen. 3 weeks in the primary, bottled on the same weekend (3 weeks ago) as the hefeweizen. I am waiting for the cool fall weather to open this one, which will also give it a little time to age.

Anyway, I am happy and I wanted to say thank you for all the help I've received on homebrewtalk.com. :mug:

Well, I'm sitting on the back porch enjoying the satisfaction of drinking my first homebrew, a hefeweizen. I split the first 22 oz bottle with my wife. It tasted so good, I had to open another one. Nice banana aroma, not too clove-y. I usually am a one (12 oz bottle of beer kind of guy, but this was good and the satisfaction of having brewed it myself added to the pleasure.)

The only thing that went wrong is that it is a bit under-carbonated. I tried letting the flow from the primary into the bottling bucket mix the sugar water (3/4 cup corn sugar in 2 cups boiled water) and I think I got inconsistent carbonation results. The second bottle had more carbonation than the first. Next time, I will stir the bottling bucket.

I now know to add most of the extract at 15 minutes before flameout. All the extract was in the brewpot for the full 60 minutes, so the beer is darker than one would expect for a hefeweizen.

There is very little yeast in the bottle, which surprised me. Not quite sure what happened there. I used WLP300.

The beer spent two weeks in the primary and 3 weeks in the bottle. OG = 1.044. FG = 1.013. ABV = 4.07%.

Truth be told, this is the second beer I made, but the first I've drunk. The first one is a stout that I brewed a week before the hefeweizen. 3 weeks in the primary, bottled on the same weekend (3 weeks ago) as the hefeweizen. I am waiting for the cool fall weather to open this one, which will also give it a little time to age.

Anyway, I am happy and I wanted to say thank you for all the help I've received on homebrewtalk.com. :mug:

Congrats!!! Welcome to your new addiction err i mean hobby ya hobby!

It's only been a couple of months since I cracked open my fisrt homebrew, I know the feeling of satisfaction and the desire for a second bottle. Congrats on a batch well done:mug:

Yeah,it is purty. I thought the op might wanna see that others have had these wheat beers come out clear. But still pretty good. Hers gets better every time we crack some on weekends. Those o2 caps really do make a difference. Should be grand on the 4th. We've been saving a couple of cases of her Krystallwit,& my Sunset Gold ale. Should go good with 3 slabs of Memphis style ribs,tater salad,pasta salad,cheesecake...oooh yeeeaaah!:rockin::mug:

Congrats man! It's always 1000x more enjoyable when the cold one you wind down with after a long day is one you have made. Welcom to the first of many of these moments, and may each first bottle/glass of every batch you make give you the same satisfaction!

Cheers!

Nice job! Hefe's go down the fastest at my house also. Seems to be a leak in my keg. Lol !

I just recently opened my first honey wheat. Man it tasted great after a long motorcycle ride yesterday opening up a 22oz bottle and just sitting on my patio relaxing drinking my homebrew.

Back