Aprihop Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superdave

Reaction score
I'm thinking of beers to brew for spring/summer (my favorite seasons!) and Aprihop seems like it would be a good one (and as I understand it, it is a spring seasonal). I've tasted it a couple times, but unfortunately Dogfish isn't distributed anywhere near Kansas, so I can't buy it.

Anyway, I'd like to brew some up with the apricots my mom gave me.

Anyone have a clone?

I've poked around for this recipe elsewhere in the past without finding one that seemed like it would turn out all that well. Looking forward to the results of this thread.

i just tried this beer last night. it was delicious.

anybody know how to make a clone from extract?

It has been some time since I've been able to drink an Aprihop (not sold in my area) but I brewed that clone posted and it tastes pretty close to what I remember.

I would have preferred a little more hops, but I don't recall Aprihop being too hoppy so I suppose it was probably about right.

I was considering brewing this, when it says "rehydrate 4-6 lbs. of dehydrated unsulphored apricots" did you do anything other than just dump them in the secondary? Or did you use apricot extract?

I used canned apricots. I couldn't find any fresh ones at the time, so canned was all I could find. I just drained them and mushed them into the fermenter. Actually, I think I pulled a little of the beer out, and combined it with the apricots in a blender and chopped it up and dumped the whole mess back into the fermenter for two or three weeks.

Does anyone have a recipe to post for this? AG or Extract would both be fine.

I was thinking about a normal IPA and adding apricots to secondary, but would prefer a validated recipe.

Can anyone convert this to extract?

Here is the recipe from Beer Advocate...

All-Grain recipe:

9.5 lbs. 2-Row
1 lb. Munich
1 lb. CaraPils
.5 lb. Caramel 60

Mash for 1 hour at 155F

60 Min. additions:
.5 oz. Amarillo
.5 oz. Centinial
.25 oz. Simcoe

20 Min. additions:
.5 oz. Amarillo
.25 oz. Centinial

5 Min. Addtion:
1 oz. Glacier

Dry Hopped with .25 oz each of Amarillo and Glacier.

Ferment at 68F with Wyeast Ringwood

Two options for the Apricots...
1) rehydrate 4-6 lbs. of Dehydrated unsulphored Apricots, added into secondary, or
2) or add a couple of those little bottles of Apricot Extract, added at bottling."

Try the free 21-day trial of beersmith: http://www.beersmith.com/

It's great software and makes this kind of conversion a breeze. It also automagically deals with issues like whether or not you can do a full boil, if you want to do a late extract addition, etc. -- all of which will impact your hop schedule.

And to prove I'm not just trying to be a jerk, here's a conversion chart for the grains: http://www.jessenewcomer.com/blog/archives/38

The big online stores sell Munich LME, but the proportion of munich and 2-row varies. The NB version is 50/50 (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/northern-brewer-munich-malt-syrup.html) so to replace 1# of munich you need 0.75# of pure munich LME which means you actually need to order 1.5# of NB Munich LME.

For the 2-row, you need 7.125 pounds of LME, but you already have 0.75# from the Munich, so that leaves 6.375# light LME. (Or 5.1# DME if you prefer.)

You can steep the carapils and C60 in the amounts listed above.

Hops will depend on how you boil. If you do a full boil or late extract addition, you should be able to keep the schedule close to what's there. If you dump everything in at once in the beginning, you'll need to up the bittering charge to get the same IBUs. Again, software is the best bet there.

Good luck. I love this beer.

Awesome, thank you I am very new to brewing and I didn't know this program did this, I simply saw people requesting extract versions and figured experienced brewers calculated for extract... Thanks again!

Can anyone convert this to extract?

Here is the recipe from Beer Advocate...

All-Grain recipe:

9.5 lbs. 2-Row
1 lb. Munich
1 lb. CaraPils
.5 lb. Caramel 60

Mash for 1 hour at 155F

60 Min. additions:
.5 oz. Amarillo
.5 oz. Centinial
.25 oz. Simcoe

20 Min. additions:
.5 oz. Amarillo
.25 oz. Centinial

5 Min. Addtion:
1 oz. Glacier

Dry Hopped with .25 oz each of Amarillo and Glacier.

Ferment at 68F with Wyeast Ringwood

Two options for the Apricots...
1) rehydrate 4-6 lbs. of Dehydrated unsulphored Apricots, added into secondary, or
2) or add a couple of those little bottles of Apricot Extract, added at bottling."

Has anyone brewed this recipe? How did it go? Any changes?

Cheers

From what I've gathered this is their 60 minute recipe with 4 pounds of dried chopped apricots added to the end of boil

7lbs light dme
6 oz crushed amber steeping
.5 oz Warrior, Amarillo, Simcoe over 60 minutes
.5 oz Amarillo end of boil
4 lbs dried chopped apricots 10 minutes and then into fermenter
Dry hop with Amarillo and Simcoe

Wyeast Ringwood (make a starter)

From what I've gathered on the webs and the book

Back