Microbrews in/around Susquehanna Valley (PA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brauhaus

Reaction score
I live and travel throughout the Susquehanna Valley of Pennsylvania and I've heard things about Mircobreweries in/around the area and have been curious to try them...

The ones around here that i'd like to know if anyone has been to:
  • Lancaster Brewing Co.
  • Victory Brewing Co.

Small list huh? I've been to the Independence Brew Pub in Philadelphia, PA and I absolutely loved the variety of beer they had on tap, since then I've been curious to explore and support other local brews around me.

DogFish Head in DE seems to get a lot of attention and I've picked up a few 6-packs of their beer and I've been quite pleased with them as well, has anyone been there?

Anyone have suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Lancaster makes decent beer. I like their Amish 4 grain.

Victory makes good beer. I like their Hop Devil.

Troegs, (Harrisburg), makes great beer. The tasting room/giftshop is open Monday-Saturday, and growler fills are available. Tours are on Saturday. Their regular beer lineup is outstanding, and their seasonals, (all of them), are even better. http://troegs.com/index.htm

Their's also Stoudt's in Adamstown that's worth a look. http://www.stoudtsbeer.com/

BraeHaus said:
I live and travel throughout the Susquehanna Valley of Pennsylvania and I've heard things about Mircobreweries in/around the area and have been curious to try them...

The ones around here that i'd like to know if anyone has been to:
  • Lancaster Brewing Co.
  • Victory Brewing Co.

Small list huh? I've been to the Independence Brew Pub in Philadelphia, PA and I absolutely loved the variety of beer they had on tap, since then I've been curious to explore and support other local brews around me.

DogFish Head in DE seems to get a lot of attention and I've picked up a few 6-packs of their beer and I've been quite pleased with them as well, has anyone been there?

Anyone have suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Never been here but I have bought a case or two of their brew.

http://www.stoudtsbeer.com/hours-directions.html

I am not familiar with the area but the beermapping.com website is always a good place to start. There may be some on there and there may not. If you come across a place that is not you should post it up there.

Looks like Appalation and Troegs Brewing in Harrisburg. Bube's Brewery in Mt Joy.
Swashbuckler brewing Co. in Elstonville.

I hope that i am looking in the right area, if I am totally in the wrong place, sorry.

Cheers

Edit: *Damn I am slow*

+1 on Victory. I went 2 years ago on a trip to Philadelphia. Great food, atmosphere and of course great beer. Storm kings are awesome and maybe you'll be lucky enough to catch their new baltic thunder.0.

Victory is great. Now is probably a good time to go since they will be undergoing renovations in January as well.

Sadly Independence closed sometime over the summer, I forget exactly when.

If you go to Troegs, then you have to check out ABC (Appalachian Brewing Company) as well. Great brewpub with a pretty decent selection. There are 3 of them in the Harrisburg area. http://www.abcbrew.com

All within a 1.5 hour drive of Harrisburg - and I'm probably missing some:

1) Appalachian Brewing Co. - Harrisburg, Gettysburg, Camp Hill, and soon to be Lancaster
2) Lancaster Brewing Co. - Lancaster, soon to be Harrisburg
3) Iron Hill Brewery - Lancaster and several near Philadelphia
4) Bube's Brewery - Mt. Joy, although last time I was there they had no house ale
5) Stoudts Brewing - Adamstown (Lancaster), PA
6) Union Barrel Works - Rheemstown (Lancaster), PA
7) Selinsgrove Brewery - Selinsgrove, PA (My personal favorite)
8) Troegs - Harrisburg, but no brewpub
9) Market Cross Pub - Carlisle, PA (has 3 house beers and wide selection of others)
10/11) Bethlehem and Allentown Brewworks

And of course you have all of the Philadelphia Breweries within 2 hours... Rock Bottom, Victory, Sly Fox, and many more.

WOP31 said:
Swashbuckler brewing Co. in Elstonville.

This doesn't really exist I don't think. I've heard of it before too, but I think, after some research, this is the name of the 'brewery' at the Renaissance Fair, but I don't think they actually brew their own.

I could be wrong, but I think they get it elsewhere and just serve it there at a place named this.

BraeHaus said:

Dogfish Head is one of the most popular small craft brewers in the US nowadays. Kind of making the 'extreme' beer brewing craze mainstream with some of their offerings - such as 90 Minute IPA or even 120 Minute IPA, etc.

I went there 3-4 times this past summer - me and the SWMBO love the beach and this is a great place for food and drink in Rehobeth. It's the only micro in the area really...

If you ever get down toward DE, definitely check out the original Dogfish Alehouse... although they are opening new locations throughout the east. Gaithersburg, MD has one now. Falls Church, VA, etc. also.

EDIT: My favorite DFH beer is their India Brown Ale...

RoaringBrewer said:
This doesn't really exist I don't think. I've heard of it before too, but I think, after some research, this is the name of the 'brewery' at the Renaissance Fair, but I don't think they actually brew their own.

I could be wrong, but I think they get it elsewhere and just serve it there at a place named this.

I actually am from the Lancaster PA area and recently moved to TN. The last time I was at the Ren Faire at Mt. Hope they were brewing their own. We were actually there on their Ocktoberfest weekend and the had a talk by the brewer.

It was true then that they only brewer for the Faire.

Stoudt's has a nice micro festival a couple times a year. I got there once and had a great time. Their web site usually lists dates and should also have a menu for the restaraunt (good food, but a little more upscale)

I actually am from the Lancaster PA area and recently moved to TN. The last time I was at the Ren Faire at Mt. Hope they were brewing their own. We were actually there on their Ocktoberfest weekend and the had a talk by the brewer.

It was true then that they only brewer for the Faire.

Stoudt's has a nice micro festival a couple times a year. I got there once and had a great time. Their web site usually lists dates and should also have a menu for the restaraunt (good food, but a little more upscale)

I just hit Swashbucker thsi weekend (open Thurs/Fri/Sat) and it was great! They now have a nice little brew-pub type restaurant. I had a good Oatmeal Stoudt and my wife had a good hard cider. They also have a wine shoppe there and I picked up a bottle of their mead. It's well-worth the visit, just check teh website for their hours. I also heard them planning May's micro-fest and it sounds delicious!

1) Appalachian Brewing Co. - Harrisburg, Gettysburg, Camp Hill, and soon to be Lancaster
4) Bube's Brewery - Mt. Joy, although last time I was there they had no house ale
9) Market Cross Pub - Carlisle, PA (has 3 house beers and wide selection of others)

Great list!!! Some updates from me....

1) Not soon to be Lancaster... Been trying for 3 years. Nothing happening immediately. Tours at Harrisburg @ 1pm Saturdays.
2) LBC HBG is open
7) +1. LOVE the 'Grove
8) Awesome pub-like tasting room now open. Free tours Saturday - call ahead.

And of course you have all of the Philadelphia Breweries within 2 hours... Rock Bottom, Victory, Sly Fox, and many more.

Well, I won't argue with your favorite. You close to Selinsgrove???

Update for your list, a micro has opened up in Danville. It's across the street from BJ's, maybe half a block twords the river and is called the Old Forge Brewing Company. They have an IPA up right now that's very very nice.....:mug:

I have been i big fan of "Stoudts" for a many years I try to kept some of the Gold Lager its a good starting point to converting the BMC people. I'm drinking there Double IPA right now.

Troegs is another good one there Pale Ale and Rugged Trail Ale are allwas good choices

Back