I'm Thinking... 09/09/09 Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to cancel my plans for this brew in time for the swap, but I plan on brewing it this weekend if all goes well. Anyone out there want to set one aside for a swap at a way later date?

Based on the date of last activity...it looks like we only have one doubtful at this point.

Alamo_Beer - 1/25 In
Amiaji - 1/25 In
bashe - 1/16 In
Beerrific - 1/26 In
beerthirty - 1/26 In
BierMuncher - 1/26 In
CBBaron - 1/26 In
chriso - 1/24 In
conpewter - 1/26 In
Couevas - 1/23 In
deathweed - 1/26 In
Doog_Si_Reeb - 1/25 In
EvilTOJ - 1/25 In
FSR402 - 1/26 In
Glibbidy - 1/26 In
Hagen - 1/23 In
HarvInSTL - 1/12 In
jmulligan - 1/26 In
Kilted Brewer - 1/26 In
KingBrianI - 1/26 In
korndog - 1/26 In
Liquidicem - 1/7 In
MikeFlynn74 - 1/26 In
mmb - 1/26 In
MNBugeater - 1/26 In
nealf - 1/26 In
niquejim - 1/26 In
olllllo - 1/26 In
Pirate Ale - 1/23 In
Ridemywideglide - 1/24 In
Saccharomyces - 1/25 In
SporkD2 - 1/22 In
Stratotankard - 1/25 In
Sumo - 1/26 In
TerapinChef - 1/27 In
TexLaw - 12/6 Doubtful
uglygoat - 1/25 In
Warrior - 1/26 In
wildwest450 - 1/27 In
xiang - 1/25 In

Apparently me and a few other people have logged future homebrewtalk activity. I'll probably be on tomorrow, but is it that much of a sure thing?

You'd better believe it:

carnac.jpg

So I just brewed this on 1/31, as my second all-grain brew. As you can imagine, things did not go as planned. We way overestimated how much water would be retained in the grain, and ended up with almost 10 gallons of first runnings. After boiling for about three hours, I was down to about 6.5 gallons of 1.100 wort.

I put it on a nicely sized cake of US-05 from an ESB that had just finished up. Fermentation was going within 5 minutes, which was shocking to me, considering the quickest I had seen before was about 18 hours.

I can't wait to move it to secondary and add some oak so I can grab a taste.

Alamo_Beer - 1/25 In
Amiaji - 1/25 In
bashe - 1/16 In
Beerrific - 1/26 In
beerthirty - 1/26 In
BierMuncher - 1/26 In
CBBaron - 1/26 In
chriso - 1/24 In
conpewter - 1/26 In
Couevas - 1/23 In
deathweed - 1/26 In
Doog_Si_Reeb - 1/25 In
EvilTOJ - 1/25 In
FSR402 - 1/26 In
Glibbidy - 1/26 In
Hagen - 1/23 In
HarvInSTL - 1/12 In
jmulligan - 1/26 In
Kilted Brewer - 1/26 In
KingBrianI - 1/26 In
korndog - 1/26 In
Liquidicem - 1/7 In
MikeFlynn74 - 1/26 In
mmb - 1/26 In
MNBugeater - 1/26 In
nealf - 1/26 In
niquejim - 1/26 In
olllllo - 1/26 In
Pirate Ale - 1/23 In
Ridemywideglide - 1/24 In
Saccharomyces - 1/25 In
SporkD2 - 1/22 In
Stratotankard - 1/25 In
Sumo - 1/26 In
TerapinChef - 1/27 In
TexLaw - 02/08 Back from the Dead
uglygoat - 1/25 In
Warrior - 1/26 In
wildwest450 - 1/27 In
xiang - 1/25 In

This beer has taken a journey. I started out using wlp099. I did not make a started and it went from 1.112 to 1.060. It stayed there for over a month. I pitched a pack of Nottingham and it did nothing. I then racked it onto a Nottingham yeast cake and it brought it down to 1.030. I am happy with it getting down that far but I am hoping to get it closer to 1.020 which might be a pipe dream.
I still don't know if I'm gonna keg this or bottle it. I am a bit scared to keg it because I know I'll come home from work have a few and wake up on my kitchen floor the next morning.

This beer has taken a journey. I started out using wlp099. I did not make a started and it went from 1.112 to 1.060. It stayed there for over a month. I pitched a pack of Nottingham and it did nothing. I then racked it onto a Nottingham yeast cake and it brought it down to 1.030. I am happy with it getting down that far but I am hoping to get it closer to 1.020 which might be a pipe dream.
I still don't know if I'm gonna keg this or bottle it. I am a bit scared to keg it because I know I'll come home from work have a few and wake up on my kitchen floor the next morning.

If you wake up at all, you'll know that you made it wrong. ;)

So keg it, carb it, then bottle it.:D

I'm in a bit of a crunch here. My batch stalled at 1.065 or so after starting on a cake of Cry Havoc. I made up a starter of Red Star Champagne yeast and pitched that to try and restart it, but after 3 weeks I got nothing. So, I ordered up some WLP099 and made up a starter and pitched. Fermentation has restarted, but is going very slowly. I'm down to 1.050 today after almost a month on the WLP099. It's still chugging away, but at this rate I'm gonna be bottling sometime in April. :eek: I've already raised my house temp to 75F to get it restarted and I added some yeast nutrients. Any suggestions on ways to speed it up without ruining the end product?

Thanks,

Terje

Oh yeah, the sample I took today tasted heavenly!

I screwed up my water calculations and started with close to 9 gallons of wort. I then boiled for nearly 3 hours to get down to 5 gallons. Oops! it really was like syrup going into the fermenter. :D

Terje

I expect we will initiate the exchanges in late March / early April.

I have not solicited your shipping info yet, but will in the next few weeks. (Please don't PM me with that info until I ask for it).

In the meantime:
  • Get those BW’s on oak if you plan to oak them.
  • Get a taste test and see if some late dry hopping will help them.
  • Get those bottles cleaned up.
  • Make sure your CO2 is adequate to charge that barleywine.
  • Start accumulating newspapers, bubble wrap or whatever other packing material you prefer.

Here are the swap parameters:
  • You will send to three random individuals.
  • You will receive from three random individuals.
  • You will send a minimum of 44 ounces. (Generally the minimum is either 4-12 ounce bottles, or 2-22 ounce bombers.)
  • No matter how much you send, two bottles in the package must be Barleywine.
  • You may (and are encouraged to) send additional HB for immediate enjoyment.

A typical package example would be five or six 12-ounce bottles, two of which are Barleywine.
As long as your recipient receives a minimum of 44 ounces of homebrew, including two bottles of BW, you have met the minimum.​

So when it is said and done, we should each be in possession of 6 bottles of barleywine and hopefully a weekends worth assortment of other homebrew.

Here are a couple of handy links related to:
Packing and Shipping Tutorial.
Link for free boxes.
I use the 12x12x8 size and yes, you can use them at UPS or Fed Ex.

Good luck and let’s get ready to rumble…. :rockin::rockin:

Racked from secondary to keg today, 4 months after racking to secondary. Still at 1.020 so I'll be shipping a 12.3% ABV Barleywine.

Nice warming alcohol to this. As tasty as this is flat @ 60* from the sample it's going to be phenomenal carbed and at 40* Going to have to do this one again during the summer so that I have some to sip over 0910 winter. It's going to go quick.

:D :ban::ban::ban:

Brewed in the beginning of Oct. Racked to secondary/split my 6 gal batch into two. I kept one as a control and the other I put on 2oz of med toast oak cubes. I think I may dry hop both of them, but I'm not sure.

I'll get in on the swap if there's still room. :tank:

This is going to sound pretty noobish here, but how many are going to attempt natural carbonation here vs. force carbing and a BMBF?

I am just torn how I want to approach this since I don't want to go shipping flat bottles, though it is pretty damn good right now warm and flat.. :D

Back