Another Quick Bulk Aging/Sparkling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelsongg

Reaction score
Since I have 5 1 gal carboys bulk aging is it resigned to being still mead? I was thinking of making one or two gallons sparkling but I'm guessing that the yeast will be dead by then. Do I have alternatives?

Thanks,
Greg

Mead is mead whether it's sparkling or still. Unless you bring your alcohol up so high that you overwhelm your yeast, it will still be there to carbonate your mead. You can age for a really long time and still have dormant yeast available. If you are concerned, add a little at bottling to use for carbonation.

Mead is mead whether it's sparkling or still. Unless you bring your alcohol up so high that you overwhelm your yeast, it will still be there to carbonate your mead. You can age for a really long time and still have dormant yeast available. If you are concerned, add a little at bottling to use for carbonation.

Sorry for the confusion. When I said,"... is it resigned to being still mead?", I was referring to the mead being noncarbonated, not that I thought it would morph into something else. Is "still" the correct term or is it just the way it was used in the sentence?

Greg

How much is a little?
Do I put the yeast in the bottling bucket with the priming sugar and rack on top of it right before bottling?
Do I put it directly into the bottle?

I've only had one or two brews that I felt needed more yeast. They were brews that sat around for 18 month or so and I wanted to be sure they carbed. I used about a half packet of yeast (for 5 gallons), rehydrated it with water, and poured it in the bottling bucket. I felt I would get a better mix by rehydrating it. I gave the brew a gentle (no splashing) mix with a sanitized spoon.

Back