Homebrew and flatulence

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hook_dupin

Reaction score
I've read a bit about homebrew's health benefits as compared to a larger brew: the lack of filtering increases the ammount of complex B-vitamins that you consume. However, now that my beer diet has turned to majority-homebrew, I am noticing that I fart alot more. Does anyone have anything beyond my foul annecdotal evidence to support the idea that homebrew causes ass-gas? Surely dumping live yeast into a vessel with lots of sugar (i.e...my stomach) will cause extra gas creation.

DUDE i totally am there with you, 3 of my Brown ales and i friggin ROCKED the bathroom.. wife was no where NEAR as amused as I was haha

This is a fact. BUT, it is not just your homebrew. If you drink micros you will often have the same thing. It is because the beer has more in it than horse pee (your welcome Evan!). Seriously though, a quality beer has unfermented sugars, proteins, and other compounds that are all but missing from BMC. Also, because you have not filtered with a 0.5 micron filter or centrifuged your beer, it still has dead and living yeast cells in it that contribute to flatulence. Do not be afraid, after a while your body will acclimate to it and return to normal poots and toots.
:drunk: For now just enjoy your stank and remember to set up your loved one with a dutch over at night.

I guess I already have my own optimal beer critter colony down in my tummy....didn't notice any flatulence difference when starting to drink home brew. Coffee though is a different matter!

The chemistry involved in producing this gas is well known. The compounds responsible are a subset of the carbohydrate family, termed oligosaccharides. These hover between the longer-chain starches and the mono- and disaccharides that are digested by the yeast when we ferment our wort into beer. Given what they do, they would be classified by brewers as "unfermentables."

As is the subject of endless humor, going back to the literature of ancient times ("wind eggs" and whatnot), in the process of digestion some of these oligosaccharides, present in a variety of foods, produce methane in the process of being broken down. Some folks produce enzymes that can handle this digestion without nearly as much gas, others not so much, and it doesn't improve with age......as I can personally testify.

This is a situation analogous to the inability of some groups of humans (notably SW Asia) to digest raw milk without significant digestive upset. Thus, the wide development and use of yogurt in this part of the world, in which the milk is transformed by bacteria into a more digestible product.

The only answers I know of are to either avoid such foods (I don't know about you, but when it comes to beer, forget about it!), or resort to a commercial product like Beano, which simply attempts to replace an enzyme that will convert the oligosaccharides into something less likely to produce a re-enactment of the Hindenburg disaster.

I think that while people blame the yeast it is more to do with the enzimes in the mash causing the problems. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the alpha-amylase breaks the long chains of starch into smaller chains while beta-amylase chews from both ends.

Are not the farts coming from too many long chains?

I think that while people blame the yeast it is more to do with the enzimes in the mash causing the problems. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the alpha-amylase breaks the long chains of starch into smaller chains while beta-amylase chews from both ends.

Are not the farts coming from too many long chains?

Commercial breweries mash just like us. Just larger scale.

Read the other posts guys.
Its the unfermentable sugars left in the beer that cause the problem. Most home brew has much more unfermentables than macro brews. I greatly doubt the yeast survive the stomach, and even if they did there isn't any sugar that lasts for long in the gut. The digestive track is very efficient in absorbing the same simple sugars that yeast eat.

Craig

Am I the only one out there that doesn't get this at all?

BMC gives me gas, and if I drink enough a wicked hangover and indigestion the next day.

I've yet to have any of these problems with HB, even getting plastered leaves me waking up the next day totally fine.

Am I the only one out there that doesn't get this at all?

BMC gives me gas, and if I drink enough a wicked hangover and indigestion the next day.

I've yet to have any of these problems with HB, even getting plastered leaves me waking up the next day totally fine.

Sounds mental to me. Or external factors are weighing in (like beer bongs and what you ate). Classic wine gives me a hangover but beer doesn't syndrome. Booze is booze and it is far likelier that your HB has more fusel alcohol in it than BMC making your HB more likely to give you a hang over.

That said, I have a similar problem.... although the only time I have had BMC in the past long time, I drank about a case. I wasn't all that drunk during the night, but I felt like crap the next day to be sure.

That said, I have a similar problem.... although the only time I have had BMC in the past long time, I drank about a case. I wasn't all that drunk during the night, but I felt like crap the next day to be sure.

That's what usually happens to me. Even if I'm not that drunk I wake up the next day feeling like garbage.

Might have something to do with the B vitamins in the yeast I guess... I find it hard to believe that I'm "imagining away" the migraines and diarrhea that I get from overdoing it with BMC.

Fact: light lagers are very thin beers with very few long chain sugars (dextrins and polysaccarides)
Fact: yeast can ferment up to trisaccarides (3 sugars) efficiently, the other sugars are unavailable to them.
Fact: the bacterial living in your gut are much more flexible and can anearobically digest many of these dextrins and polysaccarides - this leads to the release of co2.
Fact: most yeast that get to your stomach will leave dead and be efficiently converted to their component pieces - there relative contribution to flatulance is almost nil.

This is exactly the same process that gives some people gas when they eat beans or brassica vegetables (like cabbage): these vegetables have complex sugars that your upper gut cannot absorb - so the sugars get down into your large bowel ready to be eaten up by the bacteria living there and turned into farts.

Also all that CO2 in solution has to go somewhere but of course this would give you the same level of gas for any strongly carbonated beverage.

1st: This subject was the inspration for my brown Ale named: "Next Day Biohazard Smoked Ale"

2nd: My brother (Pharmacist) Told me that Vitamin B will help with a hangover in the morning, so in theory, if HB contains a healthy dose of vitamin B, it might be why I don't feel as groggy the next morning after an overindulgence of brew.

dp

Constant flatulance is an amusing benefit of homebrewing.

Is it sad that I'm 35 and I still laugh when I rip a big one that sends my family running to the 2nd floor? :D

2nd: My brother (Pharmacist) Told me that Vitamin B will help with a hangover in the morning, so in theory, if HB contains a healthy dose of vitamin B, it might be why I don't feel as groggy the next morning after an overindulgence of brew.

dp

You are correct sir. Not only does it make you fart and giggle, but it also helps reduce hangovers! :rockin:

the way I look at the more I fart the less people around me, less people, more of my beer for me so I fart more kinda the circle of life.

My wife has threatened to pour out of my Nut Brown Ale in the house over this deal. :D

Seriously, she doesn't even need an alarm clock any more. Like clockwork, I fire off a sleep defying fart every morning, bout 6:30 am. :mug:

HOW did I miss this thread? I'll try to get SWMBO to right a paragraph about my flatulance prowless. Couse I had it before homebrew, but she enjoys it non-the-less. She acts like she don't, but I'm sure she appreciates a good fart just as much as I do. This is, except when it makes her throw up. I guess that's a little too far.

I think your body gets used to the yeast eventually. I have been drinking homebrew almost exclusively for a year. The first 6 months.... wheewww. But now, hardly ever.

Yep, I bet the B vitamins do help. Alcohol is a diuretic; makes you pee. If you drink too much you become dehydrated and a sign/symptom of dehydration is headache… hangover.
I sure do love a great Beer fart. Makes my pants fit better

I just tasted the leftover beer from my last hydrometer reading and it gave me gas very quickly from just a couple of sips. I don't know if this bodes well for when it's all done being bottled, etc.

Constant flatulance is an amusing benefit of homebrewing.

Is it sad that I'm 35 and I still laugh when I rip a big one that sends my family running to the 2nd floor? :D

One of my dogs growled at me when I ripped a winner, then she went upstairs and laid on my pillow...

I've been drinking my homebrew for a couple of months now and I've noticed a drastic increase in farts in that time, which led me to search for this thread.

My fiance thought it was funny at first but now she gets a little irritated. It's also a little embarassing at work, I sit here in my office and rip a few hot ones, the someone inevitably walks in to talk with me and I know it must reek.

I sure hope my body becomes more acclimated and the gas slows down soon.

With all of that being said, I still laugh every single time I fart! :cross:

Been drinking HB for yrs now and yet to have beerfarts, my buddy can & does clear a room whenever he eats spicey chicken:cross:

Some people have problems, some don't.

OMG......love my amarillo IPA bombs......... sweet smell of hops in the morning......Wifey doesnt agree though ....... LMAO

I was going to start a thread about this then I ran across this one.

I've noticed, with me anyhow, that different types of yeast cause different levels of flatulence. If I use packaged yeast such as nottingham it's not as bad. I live close to a micro-brewery and they sell homebrew supplies as well as yeast. Their yeast looks just like trub from the bottom of a ferment. It works very well, usually complete ferment within 7 days. As far as gas goes it's the worst. I could fart the national anthem!! :eek: I'm brewing a partial mash amber tonight with wyeast labs yeast. I haven't used it before so we'll see.

I can't say if it's the yeast itself that makes a difference or if it's the result of what the different types of yeast produce that causes me to toot my own horn.

In regards to types of yeasts, I've been a religious White Labs user (their plant is a 25 minute drive away, fer gawd's sake...), and after 12 batches of varying ingredients & techniques, I haven't really experienced the paint-melting, small-animal-killing booty-blasts that people are talking about here. Maybe fresher yeasties = fewer bombs?

Jumping into this topic...

My Hubby finds that the worst effect that the homebrew has on him comes from the "greener" beers, especially when he pours out the bottom little bit (which he normally likes to add flavour?)

I used to have stomach issues, but started eating the probiotic yogurt on a regular basis and have since been fine (which is not to say I never have gas, but I can keep it private). I figure giving my body some additional bacteria to keep up the goo fight has helped things out.

It hasn't made for a good permanent fix for the hubby, but it certainly makes the difference in a pinch.

On a random note the lady near to me at work had some pregnancy gas the other day... I thought I was going to puke on my keyboard. Cubical land is an evil place for gassing the coworkers...

I'm so disappointed nowadays. My beer farts were epic and legendary (which influenced my username obviously), but after about a year after I started brewing again, my room-clearing ability has diminished to at best once or twice a year:D

Back