Good brew day with 2 errors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron,ar

Reaction score
I brewed my first Wheat yesterday, used rice hulls and the mash went really well. I have two questions regarding mistakes.
1. I counted the 1/2 lb rice hulls in figuring my strike water volume. It shouldn't make that much difference but I figured the rice hulls would also absorb water and had to counted even if they were not really a fermentable grain. Was this ok?
2. I took a pre boil gravity reading at 75F which was 1.030, but in my haste to get the yeast pitched and fermenter covered, I forgot to take my OG reading after boil. I started with 7 gal preboil and ended up with 5.3/4 gal into the fermenter. Is there anyway to estimate my OG using the data I do have?
Brewing is a learning experiance and today I learned just how useful ricehulls are in a mash/sparge. Thanks for any replies/advice.
Ron, brewing beer under the house:ban:

2. I took a pre boil gravity reading at 75F which was 1.030, but in my haste to get the yeast pitched and fermenter covered, I forgot to take my OG reading after boil. I started with 7 gal preboil and ended up with 5.3/4 gal into the fermenter. Is there anyway to estimate my OG using the data I do have?
Brewing is a learning experiance and today I learned just how useful ricehulls are in a mash/sparge. Thanks for any replies/advice.
Ron, brewing beer under the house:ban:

I believe that estimating your post boil gravity should just be a simple math problem.

30 X 7 / 5.75 = 36.5 meaning post boil FG would be 1.0365

Back