Bottling cyser - what bottles to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mermaid

Reaction score
I have 3 gallons of cyser that I will be bottling at the end of the month (It was started in November, but I need to bottle it prior to my move back to IL).

It's beautifully clear, and I already have a plan for putting the yeast to rest, adding a small amount of sweetening (probably honey, but I'll research that first)

What I'm wondering is, what bottles do you use? What size? and do you use corks, crown caps, or screw cap bottles?

I don't presently own a corker, so I'd have to invest in one - but I do plan on making mead again in the future.

What's the preferred option for bottling still cyser (melomel)?

If you think you'll get seriously into the meadmaking hobby, I recommend just going ahead and getting a floorstanding corker, rather than a hand corker. My preference for a cyser would be clear glass wine bottles and corks.

IMO, a bit like huesmann suggests, but my preference is always for standard green glass 750ml Bordeaux bottles (after all, mead is more wine like, than beer). I try to get some into 375ml Bordeaux halves, if I can get them as well.

That said, I've also just bottled into whatever I have available, which includes various sizes of beer bottles, with crown caps and swing top grolsch type bottles as well..

Smaller bottles can be handy, if you are concerned about opening a full bottle but not drinking the whole thing.

For stoppers, usually cork for wine bottles, crown caps for beer bottles.

If you went with wine bottles you may be able to track down some "zork" stoppers.

Screw tops are fine if you can get the bottles and matching caps, but the crimping tool can prove prohibitively expensive.

Thanks, folks. I think I'll seek out some smaller bottles and corks. Can't afford a floor corker yet, but as long as I can get the bottles to sit still on a flat surface I should be able to manage with a hand corker. (I'll also look into the "zork" stoppers)

I was planning on handing out a few bottles to my friends here in MA as my "going away" present to them (since I'm leaving town) - telling them not to drink until Christmas. Smaller bottles work well for this (more bottles to hand out).

I forgot to mention, I also use plastic topped cork stoppers that can be pulled by hand and replaced/reused. There are also moulded plastic reusable ones (made of HDPE) either type can be easily inserted by hand. Both of these can be used with "plastic shrink seals" for a semi-professional look.

While I agree with the aesthetics of corked bottles, there's also absolutely nothing functionally wrong with just using 12 and/or 22 oz bottle and crown caps. When I do this, I do use the oxygen absorbing caps.

Back